Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Figjam, May 16, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my Essex fretless P bass... On the G string the 7th fret buzzes. It doesnt buzz if i play it EXACTLY on the 7th fret marker, but if you miss by jusst a little , the note doesnt resonate too well and it buzzes and makes a weird noise... Resembles a dead spot maybe? The problem is whenever i do a slide that passes through that spot, the noise disrupts the smooth sound of the slide. Is there any way of fixing this without cranking my action up a centimeter?

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    if it's lined the marker could be poping out a bit.... common w/ lined frtls

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thats what i first thought... to my figners touch it doesnt seem to be raised at all, but maybe its too sensitive to notice?

But also remember the fact that it makes the weird noise when its inbetween the 6th and 7th 'fret', not on the line.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    either way...it'll buzz if it's high

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if this were the case, how would one fix it?

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    repair guy can level it.... but get a second opinion...don't go by me..

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, i will... i might bring it in to my local shop but they might charge $ just for an 'opinion'.