What is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-icly me, Jul 19, 2020.

1. 00303_7aKYL2je3CQ_0ew0jm_600x450(2).jpg This for sale in my area for 6bills. The pickup configuration intrigues me as to sounds that can be produced.

I'm guessing this is some form of jazz bass special run. Maybe Japanese?

Very interested in your thoughts, knowledge, experiences concerning this bass.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    It looks like a Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass called the Blacktop Jazz Bass. I had one, which was really cool sounding, but heavy. I like the precision pickup in the bridge position much more than a jazz pickup in the bridge position.

I don't think I would pay $600 for it, but haven't checked what they sell for these days. There is a Fender Blacktop club thread if you have more questions about these basses.

3. Thank you for your reply. At least now I have a starting point. I agree with you 600 is a bit high, I'm more like 450. Might have to wait a few months...

Off to the Blacktop Club.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    There’s also a Blacktop Precision, with 2 double-J pickups.

Blacktop: Fender’s Bizarro line :woot:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021