What is this ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaboy, Aug 12, 2005.

1. skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    I've recently come across this bass called Rex and it's made in Italy. I've never comed across one like this before so if you guys can give me some insight on it, even directing me to a website that'd be great.

It's also supposedly 60's vintage. Cheers.

2. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Is that tape on the back? Interesting bass. I love the color, but everything else just doesn't do it for me, especially not the pickups.
  3. skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    Nah I don't think it's tape at the back. As for it's look I am loving it, super retro. No leads still ?
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    what is this? easy,the most ugly ever instrument :bag:
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I have some major problems with this bass.
    For one, what is going on with that neck? It looks tiny to me. Tiny and thin and like it has the same width all the way down.
    Secondly, pickups are waay at the top of my list for the aesthetic qualities of a bass. Those pickups look horid and weak.
    Can you describe what the back looks like in person? It looks like maybe (hopefully) it didnt photograph well.
    I think that the little nick taken out of it at the bottom is brave, Ive seen things that like that before (like no lower wing or something silly like that). I respect it to some extent, but its also hideous.

Imagine what kind of person would play that...
    I wont even say what I imagine. Its just wrong
  6. Good thing that YOU don't own it, then, isn't it???
    Try sticking to the original question...

Re: REX. I've been Googling my way around and still haven't found much. Where'd you get your info that it's Italian, and mid-60's?
  7. It could be home made... or by a not very well known luthier for that matter. What scale is it? It looks extremely short,
  8. skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    It's extremely bizzare this bass. As far as my understanding, it's about as close as you guys.

It just could be the next mystery bass... *loops X-Files theme
  9. I'm not very sure about that particular brand of guitar. However, Italy has had a good number of accordion manufacturers in the pre and post war era. When in the fifties and sixties guitar sales started sky rocketing, some accordion manufacturers attempted to move into the guitar building market.

The result of this was that they applied what they knew about accordion manufacture also to guitars. The back of that bass is similar to the mother of pearl effect which accordions have. Another offshoot of the accordion/guitar mix is that many of these guitars had switches as you would find on the fender Jaguar guitar, only more of them.
  10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    This bass was made by Eko during the early 60's at their Recanti, Italy factory. I forget the exact model designation (400 or 500) but they cut away the lower body and used their double polarity pickups with push-button automatic tone control selectors on this series. Hagstrom who were major competitiors, also offered the same type of push button electronics on their instruments at the same time.

Another give away is the hardware. Eko pickups, tailpiece, etc that you'll find on the later 60's Eko models.

Never heard of the "Rex" brand before, but Eko probably made a number of instruments branded this way and sold them to one of their distributors as a house brand.

11. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    What animal took the bite out of the bottom of the bass?
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is not tape. That is genuine, 1960's mother of frigidaire.
  13. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There were dozens of guitar brands produced in Italy in the 1960's, and a lot of the models are very similar even though they may have different manufacturers. The "Rex" brand seems to have belonged to Ariston, an accordion manufacturer as noted by Wadge above. An excellent web resource for those trying to identify weird Italian guitars/basses is http://www.fetishguitars.com/