What is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jneuman, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Wow- Body sure looks like an old Itie!
  2. I was going to say that, but just assumed if it were, someone would have snapped it up before it made it to ebay. The back appears to be flat, but gradually sloped. That's a French characteristic, no?
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Barak Norman made mostly Viola d'gambas. That is no English Bass. Also the condition is way way too good for it's age. The dull blackened Varnish smells Hungarian along with it's high arched top flattening quickly near the edges. I emailed the seller 3 times since it was listed and did not get a single reply. If this was old english, italian or even old hungarian, it would never have made it to ebay. A shop would have snapped it up rite quick! Also, who would bunch up 4 gears like that on the scroll?
  4. The seller just withdrew the auction. Hmmm....
  5. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    At least the cobwebs seemed real.

6. That bass was probably made last year. The maker carefully antiqued it then put it outside in the shed after knocking the fingerboard off. ;) Seriously though, The thing that get's me is that I swear that same seller auctioned off a "Barak Norman" (looked totally different BTW) a few years back. What a bizzare name to use for a fake. It was probably some Gypsy bass that fell into disrepair and got stored away somewhere. Of course we will all be laughing when it shows up at the Contrabass Shoppe after restoration. :D