1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I was surfing around Google Images, when I happened to stumble upon this piece of work:

[​IMG]

What is up with that neck? I'd probably fracture my hand going up and down that fretboard :scowl:

Anyone know what it is? I don't know, maybe I'm misinformed/am missing the point of such a creative instrument. If so, disregard my ignorance :bag:

2. im sure its been explained before, but i myself am very curious too.
    anybody wanna tell us the answer?

3. now that i look at it more closely i can see the tuners down at the base of the bass and those little holes look liek the things that are for the string thru bridges so the string goes thru there and tunes at the bottom? kinda liek the opposite of a banjo?

4. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    You adjust the tuning of the bottom two strings at the bridge, so the neck is still quite smooth.

I guess it's so you can have a longer scale for better tension on the 'bass' strings, and just use the upper register on the 'treble' ones.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its a bass *insert rimshot here*

6. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    http://instantrimshot.com/ :D

But seriously...someone identify the bass por favor.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    WIN!

This bass has been posted a few times in threads like Bizarre Basses, U**y Basses, What the F*** does this bass do?, etc.

Probably something along the lines of the fanned fret system, making tension different for the lower strings compared to the higher strings.

EDIT: Tis was my 2000 post! Yay.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I don't know kind it is, but that bass belongs to Victor Wooten

9. rimshot.

10. I believe it's a Read.

11. EPICWIN.

Back on topic: looks pretty neat imo, maybe a little unpractical though:rolleyes:

12. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing, perhaps fanned frets. Looks like nothing I've ever seen, though.

I knew it! I have seen countless Wooten vids/TV stuff, and it looked quite familiar...I was trying to remember, thanks for refreshing my memory :D