Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is "underground" Hip Hop and why

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fluke, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    is it considered such? Give some good examples... and i know there are plenty that broke into the mainstream and thus are not considered such anymore...

2. I went to go see atmosphere last night and thats about as close to underground hip-hop as you can get. I guess people call it underground cause the guys doing it are not famous, but for me the music is as sincere as hip hop gets (perhaps because of the fame factor). A very amazing show though, these guys really get the crowd going.
    If you want to hear some really good underground hip-hop listen to atmosphere (gods bathroom floor, free or dead), aesop rock, eyedea and theres a few other really good ones.

3. Underground Hip-hop is like Toberlone to Corporate rap's tootsie rolls. Its basically "real" hip-hop, in that its not about flashy videoes or "holla" choruses, but rather nice beats and skilled MCs.

While it varies as to whom you can call underground, I think Black Eye Peas, Jurassic 5, the Roots, Blackilicious and Common are a few of the more well known examples. (though maybe less BEP because they've appeared on Dr. Pepper)

4. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i was 'skating' around campus once, and some 'dude' was studying and he motioned me to come over to him, he appeared like a 'typical' rasta and asked if i smoked ganja, at the time i did...... he pulled out a nice pipe and shared some ganja. then he asked if i liked hip hop, and i said sure i do!

gave me a CD of him and his friends, no labels just the name of the group written on it, had about 10 of them in his bag, and said to call him up if i wanted anymore.... he was the 'main guy'

i dont remember the group and i dont remember the name of the man, but thats just about as underground as you can get.... and btw it was pretty good along the lines of early Wu-tang Clan or Mobb Deep but more 'hardcore'