Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is up with all of the Jay-z black album mixes?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by slick519, Apr 10, 2004.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I am kind of confused. Why is everyone mixing Jay-Z's Black album with everything? i mean, there seems to be lots of it. Did it start out w/ the beatle's white and DJ dangermouse? or did it start somewhere else? I think that it is kind of cool, i mean the weezer one... www.jay-zeezer.com is kinda cool.

what are the peoples' opinions?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Make money money

Take money money

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Jay-Z released a record with just his vocals on it. Normally, people that have their stuff played at clubs release just the beats.

Now, it's become the vogue thing to do. Some of the stuff is actually pretty good.

DJ Danger Mouse's thing was novel, but I kind of lost interest in it after a while.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

M-U-S-I-C related = not OT. :)

5. weird stuff...not entirely bad

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I got a copy of it from a friend and I cannot see what people are all pumped up for. I think they are pretty Sh***y remixes. I have not listened to it for a couple weeks but I seem to recall that even the beat matching was not all that tight and some of the vocal phrases just did not fit. Oh, well he put a lot of time and effort into it and thats a lot more than I can say for a lot of music lately.

7. Damn right...I just wish some of the other "musicians" would take the hint and drop the curtain...seriously, we need something new!

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There are many 'new' sounds out there, you just have to find them.

9. There are..but I was specifically referring to the mainstream hip-hop scene. I;m sure theres tons, somethings just gotta make that step up, because I dont want to go out of my way to find a new genre of rap.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Such is mainstream anything, it moves in trends. As soon as a new sound starts selling well, then we'll be hearing a lot more of that sound.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Then you obviously don't care about it.

I've found that the best music is the kind you have to go out of your way to find. There are tons and tons of amazing performers and groups that are doing good work, but the mainstream ignores them for whatever reason because they aren't MTV friendly. A lot of times the "new" sound in the mainstream is already old because it's been surfed around the underground for a while. And I don't like pop culture telling me what's good.

What's more, the hip hop underground has been thriving for the past few years, so it's not like you'll be going that far out of your way.

12. True. Actually, I'm not a huge fan of hip hop, and certainly not mainstream hip hop. But I do mind it when I hear background music (you cant avoid pop music anywhere) that sucks rather than something good. So as a backdrop to my day, I'd prefer something more interesting than what Ludacris is making these days, etc. As for underground, yes I do know of it :D . I have friends who are into it, it aint my cup of tea to look for underground rap...actually...you're correct, i probably dont care about it :confused: Ok...off to listen to one hand clapping...

13. Oh, I just realized why i posted here. I heard the new Cypress Hill album (im a huge cypress hill fan)...it sucks IMO...talking about finding the right girl or give me your number, just so boring. Cypress Hill was the last group I would have thought to fall into that crappy formula. Therein lies my bitterness. Ok, that is all.