What is up with Cort Curbow Fretless 5s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Mar 6, 2001.

1. I've got a couple questions regarding the Cort Curbow Fretless 5s...

Firstly, do they have Bartolini pickups and EQs? On the Curbow.com website it says Bartolini MK1 pickup and MK2 EQ. However, on the Cort site it says that the fretless 5 has a MightyMite Soapbar pickup (which is what I thought was the case).

Also, do the fretless 5s (given that they have the Mite pickup) sound very good? I've been progressing very slowly for about 3 years now, but I'm curious about fretless basses. I figure a Curbow is a semi-cheap bass that I could tool around on if I wanted, so if the sound is good I may pick one up. I just got a G&L L-2500 (which I love to death) so it would be a while before I pick up the Curbow, but I do a lot of research to keep my GAS under some sort of control before I make a purchase :)

Thanks a bunch!
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The actual Cort Curbows do not come with BartoliniĀ“s
    The Electronics are designed by Curbow and Bartolini but made overseas.
    The pickups are mighty mite.

Try one.. and feel the need.
  3. I just pick up a Curbow fretless 5 yesterday. I already had the 6 and liked the way it played. The 5 does have a Mighty Mite pickup. It still has a good sound and I wasn't disappointed. For the price it's not a bad way to go if you want to get into a fretless.
  4. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I have a Cort 6 and love it, esp. the very hard fingerboard. So, I figure this 'board would work great for a fretless, no?

And what strings would work best on a fretless Cort? Could you get away with round-wounds?

Thanks, -SLH
  5. The one I bought came with round wounds on it. I think I'm going to switch out to flats though.
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Cort Curbow 5 fretless is still for sale. $400.00 and I'll pay shipping in U.S. Excellent condition and gig bag included or $450 with a new hardcase. email for pics. snyderz@whitemtns.com