What is up with my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handheldmusic, Jun 9, 2001.

1. I have a late model Peavey Minx 110. This thing is the craziest little practice amp I've ever known. It's rated at 35 watts RMS yet it blows away my friend's Crate BX50 combo which is rated at 50 watts. Pretty loud little amp, and it really has some great, punchy tone. Anyway, to get to my question (sorry), Every now and then, when I turn the amp on, I get no sound at all, almost like the speaker is blown or something. But then all I do is hit an open E, crank the volume up to 10, it cackles for a second, then I bring the volume back down and then it works fine. Why is this? Sometimes (rarely, actually) it also will start distorting and fuzzing out, especially when i play on the E string, for a minute or so at VERY low volume, but once again I'll crank the volume up and back down again, or simply turn it off, then back on, and it works fine. Is my amp going to pot or do I have nothing to worry about? Like I said, it IS kinda old (don't know exact year but it does have the old Peavey logo with the jagged letters). Can something simple fix this?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    From the symptoms you describe...maybe :) .

It sounds like some gunk IN the volume pot, or perhaps
    a bad (intermittent) connection TO it. Since it's "old" -
    (no warranty to void) pop the top and check this volume
    pot for bad solder joint(s). If that's o.k., try a shot of
    contact cleaner to the INSIDE of the pot - work it around
    a couple times.

D'ohh! :eek: be sure it's un-plugged first!