What is up with the gothic/industrial mindset?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AltIII, Mar 15, 2004.

1. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Now, I've always gotten along with the few cool goth kids. But what the hell is up with the whole "the whole world is a cess-pool" Mindset.
    Like bands such as NIN and Marilyn Manson. Are Trent Reznor and his kin always so dark and gloomy or they actually feel joy once in a while? Just seems like a self-destructive and unhealthy additude to have to me. I'm not all "shiny happy people" but I like to actually smile and be silly whenever it's appropriate.
  2. so they absorb the energy? but wouldnt that give them some life or something like that? :p :rolleyes:
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    no, that makes them miserable on a sunny day. :D
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    lmao at wrong robot. :D

I think of the Industrial scene (which I dearly love, moreso even than metal or any other genre) in much the same way I think of the metal scene. At least in my one attempt at an Industrial project (and in all the metal stuff I've played over the years), I was using that style in the medium to get out and make sense of all the bad **** that I think and hear and see all the time. It's gloomy music because the happy stuff isn't something that you want to let go of, whereas the bad stuff is. Singing about it and writing music that works with it is part of a catharsis, I guess. A buddy of mine that plays death metal says essentially the same thing.

Also: I wear lots of black because I look like crap in bright colors. It's much simpler to get dressed in the morning when you can barely open your eyes if almost everything you wear looks approximately the same. Less room for mistakes that way.

As an aside, it seems to me that while the two scenes are closely interlinked, Industrial people have a slightly different mindset and than Goth people. Goth people are all about vampires and velvet clothes and stuff, and Industrial people are just pissed all the time. :D

I smile and laugh and stuff. Really.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I don't tolerate this kind of talk - JMX
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You're just upset that Cracker Barrel out there sucks. :D

Go write a gothy song about it. you'll feel better. ;)
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    no way, mike's emo
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh, well excuse me, then.

Go get another nautical star tattoo and strum your acoustic. It'll be okay. :D
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

No, my beef is that its like.... 8 hours away. And thats with no traffic and speeding.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There are still Gothic/Industrial people?
  12. no, now they have all become people that put X's on there hands claiming that they dont do drugs or something like that.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and **** my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white **** up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge

I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and smoke dope
    'Cause I know I can cope
    Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
    Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
    Always gonna keep in touch
    Never want to use a crutch

I've got the straight edge!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're stereo typing a bit here, aren't you? As a friend of Trent, I can say that he does have the ability to smile, and he likes to joke around (ok, most of his jokes are lame). He's a normal guy who just happens to be a little dark, like many people. I think his music has trancended that whole industrial/goth thing anyhow.

There's lots of artists who could easily be pigeon holed into one emotion, but it's not who they are. People express themselves the way they please, and I think it's a bit arrogant to say that what is good for them isn't good enough for you.

I'm going to stop there before I get ugly. But think about it.
  15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ever read Jhonen Vasquez's books? They're happy.
  16. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I suppose I shouldn't have associated gloomy additude with the whole goth/industrial scene. Hell, the punk music I adore has it's own misguided reputation. The thing is that I've been in that kind of state of mind, I've felt like "they're all a bunch of nazi conformist cheerleaders" and it just made me miserable. As soon as I noticed how I was harming myself emotionally, I cut the crap. Now I don't understand how someone can choose to live in that state of mind. Is it really healthy to promote your own depression?
  17. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    as proud patrons of the london gothic/darkwave/industrial EBM scene ( go www.slimelights.net !!), we can confirm that you are wrong in your interpretation.
    All the goths we know are happy cheerful people!

Just go to a goth/industrial club! You'll see happy goths dancing, talking to each other and engaging in the traditional goth activity - denying being a goth ;)

Sure we may appreciate the "darker" things in life but that doesn't make us sad all the time!

(we appreciate that the american goth scene is probably very different than the one here)