1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is Uriah Duffy playing here?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silky smoove, Oct 21, 2010.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    In his demo of the MXR envelope filter, he lays into a groove at 8:37 that is just killer. Is this a part of an existing tune, or was he just improvising? Either way the groove is amazing:

Listen to the groove at 8:37

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    While I was planning on getting one, the moment I heard that, it sealed the deal, best sound I've ever heard out of a envelope filter, truly awesome playing, would also love to know what it is.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Giving this a bump as it's been a while and no one has commented. I know Uriah sneaks over to TB from time to time... Hopefully he'll see this.

4. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Duffy's got some mad skillz.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was just improving all that stuff.

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Wouldn't surprise me either. The guy's an amazing player, and I get the impression that he's a really cool guy too. I don't know if that matters to anyone else, but when I get the impression that someone isn't douche-y I tend to like their music more.

6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I posted a comment on that video on youtube a while ago asking what that groove is from, but never got a response.

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    How can you not like a person named Uriah?

8. Udawwgy

Udawwgy

Dec 5, 2006
    Wow- Thanks a lot for the responses y'all! I tried being a Douche once but it didn't work out. Yeah- that was all improv- hence the sloppyness... but it's raw and I dig that. It's Improvisations like that that I'll go back and listen to to find the gems- it def seems people are feeling that ending piece. Imma make a song out of it then! I just try to be careful not to repeat what's already out there too much if I can help it... ya know... Harmonics in G major have been covered by Victor and Jaco and countless others. I don't wanna be seen as some biter. But this piece seems to be getting some love and merit on it's own... Anywhoo.. done rambling... Thanks again peeps! Here's one for ya!: Search "Uriah Duffy Superstitious solo" on Youtube... I'm tryin to get more views. Enjoy!

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Dude, you're the MASTER. Huge inspiration to my playing. Love all your videos too. Keep it up!

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Sloppy? C'mon Udawwgy! I'd love be as 'sloppy' as you! Great demonstration of the product! I wish more folks would give in depth demos like that!

11. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Uriah - Thanks for the responses. Like I said the last 20 seconds of that video is amazing, very inspiring improv. I really like your Bass Octave Deluxe video too.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Haha, I've been telling people about Uriah Duffy for several, several years now, and usually they say "Who?" Glad to see he's finally getting some attention. Great player with what seems to be a good personality and stage presence. Technical skills with a rawness that keeps his playing from sounding mathematical. Best of luck!

13. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1

If I could be that sloppy on the gig I'm about to go play I'd get a standing ovation. Out of control.

Thanks for chiming in on this Uriah.

14. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    Uriah Duffy and Brian Beller.Two super cool dudes that also happen to be world class bassists.:bassist:

15. RkdJehova

RkdJehova

Mar 8, 2008
    Rex, GA

Man, the tune he starts jamming out at 1:18 had me grooving in no time. That's just downright groovy all the way, and I can't think of any other way to describe it.