What is Walking bass???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zack01, Sep 7, 2002.

1. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    I have read that the "old" bass people didnt like when in the 60s when the new bassist begun to play walking bass lines. Can anyone explain what Walking basslines are and why some people didnt like it??
  2. hello there. hopefully i can help you out a bit. Walking bass is bassically scale work. Ascending or decending. it is a bouncy, springly, lively bass line. like take the C Major scale...C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. If the bassist was playing something to go with the C chord and what not, they would use the basis of the C Major scale and make a line for it. It is all in all up and down, lively bass playing. For good examples of walking basslines, listen to some early Beatles tunes. Like...."And Your Bird Can Sing" that has an awesome walking bass line. Hopefully i help you out a bit in understanding the walking bassline.
    Now i dont really know whay people didnt like them...i have never heard that and i am a fan of classic rock and Jazz and stuff like that, and i have never once heard that people of that time didnt like it. eh, no worries.
  3. Apparently, you can get a decent Fender bass walking leash at any guitar centre.