Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is with my AIM

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    All my friends today kept telling me they recieved up to 30 messages from me each last night. My friend told me it's a simple virus and he can fix it later. Then i'm making plans to meet up with a friend and all the sudden i'm logged off and I can't logg back on because my password in now mysteriously "invalid".

Tried logging in on other computers and it says the same thing. I have had this fricken screename and password for more then 7 years, why is it doing this. I have some good friends that I talk to on there, I can't afford to not get back on my screename or else I have pretty much lost contact with them forever because I don't memorize every single screename.

What is going on?

2. You most likely have an "aim virus", like you guessed. To prevent this type thing, I recommend using Gaim. or something similar as your IM client.

I could be wrong, in that this might be a server-side problem related to your SN, and using a new client won't fix it. I would recommend GAIM over AIM anyway though.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    As soon as I saw this I was just going to say use Gaim, but someone beat it to me. rats.

4. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    You have the dreaded aim virus that is going around. I got it because my little brother is freaking retarded and clicked on a link that said "http://blahblahblahblah/picture5.exe" and then a message like "how do i look?"

.exe indeed. I smacked him upside the head and downloaded the new version of aim after an hour of battling the virus.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    How do I get my password to work again?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You might be able to go to AOL.com and do some kind of "Forgot my password" feature and then log in when they e-mail it to you. I don't know if AOL has that option, though.

Aside from Gaim, you can also use Trillian, which lets you hook up to multiple IM services simultaneously. It's a pretty slick program, I think.

7. Same thing happened to me. Luckily my anti-virus caught it and cleaned it up.

8. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    What do you use? My AVG scanner didn't do jack.