Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is with the new trend of posting email addresses?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Whatever happened to just putting your email address down normally?

Ex: super_tubaman@hotmail.com

The new trend I have seen is:

super_tubaman(at)hotmail(dot)com

Whatever happened to the good old way of just writing your email addy?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You are less likely to start getting spam if you write it in the "new" way.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Some spammers are getting ballsy enough to put phone numbers (their own, of course) in the subject line...

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I hope I get one of those so I can call and scream obscenities at them. :D I'm getting tired of yelling at my computer everytime I find that half my e-mail is spam. :meh:

Peace
    Nick

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    There are programs that spamers use which scour the internet for any text which seems like an email address. They then either sell their findings or they spam you themselves.
    spam sucks. it should be illegal. :crying:

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Is this some sort of way for you to get more e-mails? Some sort of friendly trickery?

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    not really. just proving, that i'm not spam's bitch :p. actually, if i did get spam, and i was short as hell on money, i'd sue the spammers probably :rolleyes:.

9. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    how do you go about being spam free? I get about 150 spam a day...

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What are you going to sue them for?

Peace
    Nick

11. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC

register your own domain name and do your email through there. I pay about $7 a month and have gotten about 6 spam mails in 2 years.

be smart about your email address. register a hotmail or yahoo account to use when signing up for anything that asks for email address.

AOL, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts will bring in lots of spam no matter what you do because spammers email the entire domain... using computer programs to extrapolate likely usernames and adding "@hotmail" "@aol" etc.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm generally amused at spam. I don't know how you people manage to get 150 a day.

I get maybe 5 a day. If that.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I get about 5 a week in my regular email, about ten a day in my hotmail account. I don't get the motivation anymore, who pays for spam? Do people actually respond to subject lines like: asekfjg32 34213 penis werfgi? XXX

Makes no sense.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    150 a day?? Yikes....I get so few that I actually read the ones I do get.

The only problem is that pesky Norton Internet Security keeps bothering me when I do. I just un-installed it finally. J/K :D

-Mike

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a matter of returns. It costs them next to nothing to send out millions of spam per day (this is just one company), and so much as one, ONE person orders from the spam, they've already seen a profit on their advertising. If 100 for every 1,000,000 order, they're seeing some nice returns.