Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is wrong here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Mar 23, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    My friend (guitar player) has just broken his A string on his trusty American strat. The thing is, this happens almost every practice, and it is really starting to get to me. The only string he ever breaks is the A.

We play surf rock, thus many dick dale songs. I really dont think that it is the double picking that is doing it though, because he hits the low and high E's harder on Misirlou than any other song, and those strings seem to be fine.

Any thoughts here on what could be the problem? We have heard that it could have something to do with the bridge. He is guying some DR's tomorrow, but i doubt they will help. Thanks for any imput.

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    you should check where the string breaks.
    there may be a sharp edge on one of the bridge saddles, for example. if so, try filing it down a little bit.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, what Chris said. More likely than not, it's got small burrs in either the saddle or the nut.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yea....ill third that thought....

or maybe just they were cheaply made stings....what kind were they?

bp13

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    They were Ernie Balls. Super Slinks if i remember correctly (pink package). It could be the strings, but i thought them to be reliable. I asked the guy at the local music shop and he told me, "The guys who have a heavy right hand tell me that DRs are the cheese". I am not sure what the cheese is, but I will assume that it means they are good.

6. dude...how could "cheese" mean anything BUT good? cheese rules!!!:D

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, those were my thoughts as well :p

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    cheese is good except until someone cuts it.