1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is wrong with me??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wyrmspawn, Apr 4, 2020.

1. The Corona lockdown in Germany brought me to experimenting with stings on my 4-string again. Decided to give exl160-bt from D'Addario a shot. Tension-wise excellent. Tone wise very balanced from string to string and across the frequency spectrum.
    Here comes the downside: The E-string (d-string ot be exact...) died on me within 3 hours playing time(sounds like my .105 Chromes). I pay attention to proper string installation (crimping; twisting etc),clean hands as well as cleaning the strings after playing...
    GHS Boomers also were very short-lived on the E-string on me (1 rehearsal)...
    The coated strings (Ibanez; DR Black B.) don't show this problem.
    Do I have a killer body chemistry?

2. I could offer to kill flats or rounds for money

3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I don't always hire a string assassin, but when I do, I make sure he has a thick German accent :thumbsup:

download-25.jpg

Bahjark, DJ Bebop, Pocket4 and 24 others like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Is the E(D to be precise) string the string you play most?
    Has the intonation suffered?

wyrmspawn likes this.
  6. No and no...

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    So it could be you or a bad string or the exact combination of that very string and you.
    You could buy another three to ten sets of those strings and see whether you are able to reproduce the problem.

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    do you thoroughly wash your hands before playing? i ask because i have a couple friends with string killer chemistry and thorough washing helped extend their sting life - maybe because of washing off skin acids?

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flat . 45.65.80.100.

Pocket4 and tindrum like this.
  10. Scientific approach. I stick with coated strings.

funkinbottom likes this.
  11. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

Sep 11, 2011
    Hannibal,Mo
    I can play a set of D'Addario EXL's for almost a year before they die...I have a friend who can kill a set in less than an hour. I don't let him play my basses anymore.

12. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    I have the same issue, I moved to coated strings a while back and the problem isn't necessarily an issue now. Not in love with the sound of coated strings but the tweaking the EQ as they lose their zing keeps me from replacing them every couple of months....

pcake likes this.
  13. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

"Gootbye, Meester Bawnd."

14. 4001

4001 Inactive Suspended

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    I tried GHS Boomers twice, way back in the 1980's...... they went completely dead after half of a set.

I also did some boomers back in the 1980's but that's another story....

15. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

There isn't enough information to provide you with meaningful insight. What model is the bass? What is the difference between old set versus new set of strings? Nut and bridge saddles okay? Did you stretch the strings out first? Would like to help, but too many variables.

Cliff Colton and JRA like this.
  16. Ibanez srx400.
    My problem was the definition of the e string and its attack (sorry for my english) stretched the strings well.

jamro217 likes this.
  17. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Out of all the string sets I've ever tried, GHS Boomers seem to go dead the fastest for me but after 1 rehearsal seems a little usual. :cautious:

18. CayGee

CayGee

Feb 21, 2018
    Massachusetts
    "What is wrong with me??"

...I ask myself the same question... Every day.

pcake, Vinny_G, andruca and 9 others like this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:woot: i don't relate to it, personally, but i know many do, so = it's a consideration.

is it even possible that you're experiencing the string 'settle-in' after a few hours and that you're interpreting "dead" when it's just 'mellowed' or broken-in?
    0000.jpg

20. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Ok boomers

EatS1stBassist and xbud like this.