1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rolorocknerd, May 7, 2010.

1. rolorocknerd

rolorocknerd

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    I have been through multiple rigs from a Ampeg 810 svt set up to now a perfect SWR 350x, alesis compressor, pre-fender Workingmans 410 with custom grill from SWR that works with every gig. It is portable not too little and loud enough for any situation. I love my basses but my rig is the issue. (and shold not be) i always get compliments on sound but it seems like I am looking for better and better. Am i crazy because I know it drives my wife nuts.......

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Three letters: G-A-S

3. rolorocknerd

rolorocknerd

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    LOL! perfect never heard of that til now. Any remedy?:hyper:

4. You're like most of us. There's always something else better out there... :help:

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    A remedy for GAS?

Have you heard of The Edge? He's a guitar player in some English band, anyway, his gas is so bad, they have to use a forklift to move his effects rig around.

It never really goes away, like PTSD. Some nights I wake up in a cold sweat on The Perfect Bass.com, Covered in used bass strings, holding my credit card like a knife, muttering something about tone.

You learn little tricks to move on. One of my favorites is taking a week's break from TalkBass if things get too difficult to resist.

Of course, I did just buy an Aguilar TLC... and I'm unemployed at the moment. Perhaps I need a break...Or another cab...

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The thing that seem to help me is to play/gig more and spend less time on TB hearing about new gear. But even that's no guarantee. :rollno:

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Another cab and you'll be straight, for sure ;)

I tend to obsess about gear while I'm not playing. The solution for me is to play more . . . and for the love of all that is holy STAY OUT OF THE TB CLASSIFIEDS!!!

YMMV

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You must leave TalkBass....you must turn and run and NEVER look back!! Don't stop running 'til there isn't a computer in sight. Play your bass now, see how WONDERFUL it sounds?!! :)

You're welcome.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, TalkBass can turn into a bad "pay per view" habit if you get too carried away! "Wow, the new and glorious LMIII is now here to replace the LMII" And the search for the perfect fuzz pedal never ends, etc. G_A_S...

/Alexander

11. You have yet to find the sound that is in your head. You are close but not there yet. It took me nearly forty years to find mine.

Paul

12. I find that being broke and married is a handy (though somewhat painful) way to manage GAS. The online window shopping never stops though, it's like therapy.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What do you do if the 'sound in your head' changes? Mine has definitely evolved over the years.

14. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow

preying on the weak. you should be ashamed.

15. I have a simple solution. Develop champagne taste for gear that costs way too much to buy more than one item a year or every other year.
    First off, basses/amps/cabs that cost well over a grand tend to hold value better. Second, it just sounds better. This is why I play Musicman into Mesa.

You could also get into building your own stuff. It's cheaper and just as obsessive.

Finally, Alesis compressor? Really? Those things are pure tone killers. I would check out a DBX 160 or 166 or 163. The 163 and 166 often go for $150 or less. The 160 is THE bass compressor. But it retails for $400 and used isn't much less.

16. +1

This is me to a "t"

....altho I really do need a gig-able 5 string :bawl:

bloody GAS

17. That's what GAS is for. :)

Paul

18. Fixed :D

19. Seriously, that's why it took me forty years.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The problem is you don't have an Orange rig...

Instant GAS cure! :ninja: