1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is wrong with my pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by srh, Jul 17, 2007.

1. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Ok, so I have this pedal, Ive had it for a while just havent used it until now. boss-odb3-050515.

It just isnt working right. I put a fresh battery in it. and the check light is on, so it is supposed to be working. When I click it in with my foot to turn the effect on, its volume is reaaallly low, like way too low, its worked before, but for some reason now its just like that. And yes I messed with the level, balance etc, but I just have no idea. Im really bummed because im in a metal/crazy type band and it just sounds so mucher cooler with some distortion rather than clean.

Any help?

2. Prime example of the need to be extra-specific online. I apologise in advance if this bugs you, but can I assume you tried the EQ and gain controls as well as level and balance?

For those playing at home, a good approach is to start with everything set to 12:00 except for the level controls.

Also, "fresh" as in "just bought it from the store a half hour ago" or fresh as in "been sitting unopened in my cupboard for the last x months"? And yes, I have encountered the "fresh battery failure anomaly" on these forums before! How's it go with a power supply?

Also, take a guitar lead and plug it in and out of the input jack socket about 30 times quickly. Sometimes corrosion develops in the jack socket and causes resistance in the ground path from the battery.

3. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    to niftydog:

yes, like i said in my post "yes I messed with the level, balance etc"

and the battery situation, Its pretty new, and it cant be faulty since the check light came on. power supply seems fine to me, everything else works fine, and there isnt much plugged into it.

Ill try that plugging inand out really quick suggestion you made though, thanks.

4. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    also, just say that if my pedal is just shot, what are your guys opinions on the Ibanez PD-7 phathead pedal? Just as a replacement really, not looking to spend much.

5. Fair enough, can never be too sure of what people say on these forums though! In my experience the audio often starts to suffer long before the check light starts to indicate battery deadness!

6. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    lol oh no its cool man, thanks for the help. Have any opinions on that Ibanez PD-7 pedal?

7. Sorry, no 1st hand exp.

8. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I love my PD7... I have it set to OD mode, attack off, distortion knob max, and the EQ and gain set to unity with my clean signal (as much as possible).

It's slightly gritty and very thick. In Distortion mode, it's even grittier but feels thinner as well (might work well for metal). I don't know how it would compare to your ODB-3 though.

9. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007
    I have both (ODB-3 and PD-7).

They are different. However, I love them both.

IMHO the PD7 has a somewhat "meaner" sound to it, harsher, angrier, and like death on an open low b after being rammed through a sansamp (bass->pd7->sansamp). without the sansamp it may sound too harsh.

The ODB-3 though has a very different feel, sharper. The PD7 is like a ball of razor wire but the ODB-3 is like a knife.

Also, if you don't dampen them with a preamp they well feel like razor wire and/or a knife in your ears :)

10. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks a lot ph0rk, I think I get what you are saying :D At a bargain of only like 49 dollars new, whats to go wrong? Afterall, for the band im in, I was trying to get a super mean sound.

And once I get some extra money, I think im going to get that Thor pedal tb'er James Hart has, cool soundclips, and a looper :p