Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is wrong with my pinky?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 14, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Is it just weak or is it just too small? The length of it is about 5 1/2 centimeters. I have trouble pressing down without the aid of my ring finger. Is the fact that my pinky is slightly curved in also a factor? If you didn't understand that last one heres a text diagram of how its shaped, its not as drastic as the text looks though.

||
    //
    ||

2. nah, its just a strength issue. strengthen your grip up. i used to squeeze a tennis ball

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Maybe it's my basses neck size? I can't reach from F to G on the E string.

4. dont worry dude your hand still has some growing to do

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I would suggest not doing this... playing a lot is much better at developing hand strength for BASS PLAYING. Squeezing a ball may be good at developing hand strength... but it's not going to help with your ability to play bass.

6. Go to www.libster.com

They have a nice little stretch excersise (sp?) that you can learn and do everyday until your finger does get more nimble. And don't do the squeezing stuff thing. It'll make your hand stronger, but won't give you the flexibility to stretch and reach.

7. Try this
    G---7-5-------5|----5|-----------5|---6|--
    D-------7-5--------------------------
    A-5---------3|--0-3|-----------3---4---
    E---------------------0-5-4-3~--------

That helped me with my pinky which was weak theres a certain rythm to it, where i put the |'s stop the note like a stacatoo and the ~ is ring

After that play it again and again and again and again

8. yeah of course playing is better for building strengh. but i meant squeez things when your not playing your bass. but yes practicing sill always build up your strength. sorry i wasnt clearer

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmnnn... that shouldn't be a problem unless you've got exceptionally small hands. However, it may depend on the position of your thumb on the back of the neck.

Stand in front of a mirror and play something. If you can see your thumb smiling at you over the top of the neck, you're doing it wrong. If you work on keeping your thumb on or below the centre line of the neck (and lightly touching, not held in a death grip) you should find that your reach and accuracy improve - and this will lessen the need for strength.

Other factors to consider are how heavy your strings are and how high the action is set on your bass; obviously I'm only guessing about your situation but, in my experience, there's normally a lot more to problems like this than just pinky strength. Just concentrating on the strength issue might distract you from dealing with more important things.

Wulf

10. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    I got small hands too, I think its' mostly from the way your hand is positioned. Practicing some streching exercises on the bass helps alot too.