1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is wrong with people - is this harassment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Apr 28, 2010.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    So, someone keeps on complaining about random things... Not even valid complains, just telling city to "check up on this and check up on that..."

We got complain about a car being parked in front of our house for 4 days... It was tagged and then we moved it to the drive way... However, next to it, was our neighbors suburban that was parked in front of our drive way (partially blocking our drive way) for 3 months (never moved) and their license is expired by 2 years... That was not touched... ok not a big deal... We didn't want to cause trouble so we asked politely to pull it up a little bit so we don't accidentally damage it.

Then more complains that were not valid at all... But someone had to check if complains were true or not... So more random tags on cars for no reason...

Last one was that we had to setup an appointment with the city and PROOF that all cars on driveway run. They do... I don't care.

At what point will it become harassment? We have 5 cars, on driveway, all run but 2 setup as non-op But i have to take time off work to wait for her to come over and proof to her my car runs. I don't understand this... Are people allowed to harass people like this?

Neighbors next to us, have a jeep with no engine seating on the driveway... car with expired license plate on the street, a basketball hoop on the street. Not one complain... So, if someone other then them are making these complains, they are ALWAYS against us. Right? Or it's them....

Our house is not a mess, we are not totally loud (once in a few, we have a party). NEVER a noise complain.

So i guess, when does it become harassment? Why do i have to proof that my car runs if it's seating as non-op on my driveway... I don't get it...

2. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Your driveway is your private property and you should be able to have any vehicle there whether it runs or not. And non-op is non-op, it doesn't need to run. So I don't get it either. Do you have bad relations with someone on that street? Do you have an *enemy* elsewhere in town maybe who is making these complaints? Any way to find out who has made them? Did you ask who was making the complaints?

Sure sounds like harassment to me.

My next door neighbor has so many vehicles I've stopped counting. No one here complains about it because we all try to be friendly with each other. I'm sure my late night bass playing bothers them sometimes but they never complain either.

3. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    maybe they are giving the wrong address and its the neighbor they are complaining about... or maybe its the neighbor complaining....being a #%^

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Please don't take offense, I don't mean any, but is English a second language to you?

About your situation, it certainly sounds like someone has it out for you. Why? I dont know.

My parents house is near a freeway off-ramp, and for some reason a lot of stolen cars get parked out front. If my mother sees a car she doesnt recognize parked there for a few days she'll call it in and the police will tag it, then tow it a few days later. Is there a history of stolen cars being parked in front of your house?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Put a sign in your yard that says "The Cold War is over."

One of your neighbors hasn't figured that out yet, or they just don't like Russians anyway.

:D

-Mike

6. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Non-op?

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    non-operational.

We have a similar law here in my city. Any non-operational vehicle must be off city streets.

-Mike

8. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Same here. There is no requirement that it be in running condition.

kserg - Do you have cars up on blocks? That could be the problem. Many people see such cars as an eyesore.

9. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Contrary to popular belief, you don't get to do anything you want on your private property. Most California cities have ordinances to assist folks in being good neighbors to each other. Prohibiting folks from keeping their non-operative vehicles in their driveways or on the street in front of their house for extended periods of time is a fairly common rule in cities. The rationale is that they are an eyesore which can be, among other things, detrimental to the property values and otherwise create a nuisance that the rest of the neighborhood probably gets sick of seeing. Imagine you cleaned up your pad real nice and put it up for sale, and your neighbor had 5 cars sitting in his driveway in various states of disrepair. Think you might worry about how that might affect your ability to sell your property? Not judging you, just trying to offer an example as way of explanation.

I am an attorney for the city that I live in, and we have such an ordinance. I suggest you Google your the Campbell/San Jose Municipal code and check the rules for your city. Regarding code enforcement matter like this one, cities generally have limited resources to enforce their codes, and typically enforce provisions like the one at issue here only when they get complaints. Hence, why the enforcement is only happening to you. Someone in your hood clearly has a beef with you, but is not man enough to approach you directly. I suspect if you complained enough about the others in your hood violating the rules when they come out to visit your place, they would be compelled to start enforcing against the others as well.

Anyway, knowledge is power, get online and check your city's municipal code provisions before they come out so you know where you stand and what they can, and more importantly, cannot, require you to do.

10. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I guess the phrase that confused me is...

If it runs how is it a "non-op"? Or is a license issue?

11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Or, kserg could just call up some of his KGB buddies.

-Mike

12. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The Cyrillic in his sig might be a clue.

13. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    People have become more and more passive aggressive. If you've got an issue with a neighbor (not the original poster... this is just an overall statement) you should go talk to that person. 9 times out of 10 the neighbor you're annoyed with isn't trying to piss you off and will gladly change the things that are annoying you... unless you're being really petty.

14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    for future reference
    to establish the truth is to Prove

Proof = having shown i.e. having shown proof

dont know why but that annoyed me reading it and im not usually a grammar nazi living in cuba north

15. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Your neighbor with a jeep with no engine would most probably know who's doing all the complaining.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    In Soviet Russia you don't complain about neighbor's car. Instead, neighbor's car puts you on blocks.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, second language.

They complained about a cars on my driveway. :)

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Prove vs proof - thank you

Grammer nazi - I don't mind, i know i can't spell... sometimes it's better then others. :)

Car is not on blocks, it's in decent condition and is running. There is missing paint on it, but you can't tell from the street, you guys seen it. :) Reason it's non-op is i have 93 jeep grand cherokee and 2009 Nissan Xterra. I don't want to sell my jeep, but i don't want to pay insurance on it. So it's setup as non operational in case i need it again. Means i can't drive it but i can keep it, by law, on my driveway.

The whole "neighborhood face" and house value thing. Our house is in good condition and cars, lawn and everything else is kept clean.

In fact, it's looks way nicer then neighbor's front yard, yet, they have not had any complains. I just don't understand it.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If it's war they want then I say bring them war. Time to wrap your car with a blow up of your gut. Let them bow down to the gut lord.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    And the cars are all registered, either normally or as non-op, correct? Seems like someone is trying to make trouble for you. I know in my county you can have a non-op registered vehicle parked in your driveway. Maybe someone is just trying to inconvenience you?

Hmm, maybe those neighbors have had complaints made about them, and since youre next door (and their car partially blocks your driveway, and youve confronted them about this) they are assuming that you've been calling in complaints, so theyre trying to get even? Maybe you should make a trip around your neighborhood and talk to the head of each household and let them know whats going on, and that you havent been filing any complaints. You can tell them that youre just looking to see if anyone does have a complaint that can be resolved between friendly neighbors.