Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is wrong with slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nasaldischarges, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    what exactly is wrong with slap and pop technique? The only reason I could possibly think of is that usually ridiculously easy basslines are often associated with it. (root/octave especially)

But it doesnt have to be this way. One can still create strong and complex basslines with slap and pop. All it takes is alot of skill.

comments?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The vast majority of slappers nowadays use slap to wank through a bunch of Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller licks without much regard for the music. There's a lot of great technique players out there who slap, but there's getting to be way too few people who slap for the betterment of the music. Maybe if everyone slapped like Larry Graham instead of Victor Wooten I'd get into it more. No insult to Vic intended...he's a great musician as well as a technician, but most people who imitate him aren't.

3. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    thanks for your input

4. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Yeah couldnt agree more, victor wooten style is good for solo performaces but not for music in my veiw, and i'm not really into victor woot or his style but i think he is very good at what he does, larry graham has awsome slap pop lines in his music, the octave thing was mainly in the early 70's tho right? u dont see it now much, also louis johnson, i love his style of slap pop,

can anyone tel me the name of the bass player form lakeside??

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    The only thing I can think of is that it's trite and overused. It has become cliche.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Anthony Jackson even called it "cliche" back in the '80s.

If it's done 'musically'...it's fine by me.

7. This probably sums up the majority, but there are people who can use it tastefully and musically, not just to show off and say look what I can do.

8. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    We're not doing this again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.