1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your #2 Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 6, 2008.

1. What is your #2 Bass?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    My worst e-Bay mistake was an "acoustic" P-bass "prototype", basically a home-built ABG body with a Mighty Mite neck. It looked, played and sounded like #2. :D

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Okay, got that out of the way. :p

My "#2" axe would be my Steinberger XP-2. Compact, stable and reliable, it's what I grab when I want a backup. It's not my favorite for sound, or looks though I must confess I'm starting to warm to the graphite neck. (24 frets, no dead spots :bassist:) I use it most often for rehearsals but I do sometimes feature it on the gig.

(The photo is w/ Moses fretless neck - I sold that & am back to the stock fretted.)

stein.

4. My #2 bass is the only other bass I own. :ninja:

5. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    My main axe:

P-bass

Second axe:
    J-bass

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    My 2 basses are MIM Fenders. Both have had their wiring harnesses upgraded to the ones Butch makes at bayoucables.com. The P bass, I accidently came across on CL and is a 2001. The Jazz ,I searched for , through dozens and dozens for almost a year. Both are setup to perfection, (for my style) and I would put them up against any USA Fender (and I have played many). I play both equally. The P bass gets more playtime for outside gigs where you need more lows and thump. The Jazz gets more of the midsize indoor gigs. I really would not want to have just one or the other. Our band plays 1/2 step down, so I tend to tune the Jazz that way, and leave the P bass tuned natural. That way I can practice at home w/ the P along with MP3's and not have to change tunings too much on either except for gigs w/ the P.

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    My #2 is a G&L JB-2. Hoping to pick up a H1 P or put together a P.

8. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    my #2 bass is my GSR200 ... cheap but works in a pinch

9. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    I have 2 basses...a Carvin B5 and Peavey Zodiac BXP. Neither is my #1 or #2 bass. I play them both equally. I play them each equally when my band has a show, as well.

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    my #2 bass is my avatar Dingwall

11. what's u're #1 then?????:eek::confused:

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    #2 is a tie between an Am Dlx P, and Gibson Tbird Studio 5. #1 will always be a Ric.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    My current #2 is my 1973 precision, or my PRS depending upon the gig.

Very shortly, my number 2 will be my Dingwall Afterburner 1.

14. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    one---- 88 ric 4003

two--- SX pbass copy --black with maple neck

two 1/2--- just got this.... schecter 5 string elite

al

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Hmm....:confused:

This changes all the time, but either my SX Ash bodied Jazz or my Squier VM Jazz would be one and two, depending on my mood.

Right now my Squier is #1 and the SX is #2..
    But sometimes the SX P bass is in there or my 5 er or the Geddy Clone (which, by the way, I play a whole lot more now that it has D'Addario Half Rounds strung up)

I really guess the best answer is I have 5 basses in rotation and it depends on what I am playing at the moment.

16. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    One of these - I'm fickle that way.

Attached Files:

17. cool huh?

Attached Files:

18. Did you buy off the man himself? Musta cost $2k+ I'd imagine considering the amount that's in it.

19. My #1 and #2 flip flop between a Squier VM Jazz and an Ibanez ASB140.

Depends on the gig and the amp I'm using.

20. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    My No1 is my "Uber Alles" Dingwall Prima (very unique and one-off really). It was my first Dingwall and it has a tone to die for. In the looks department it's nothing breath-taking but boy, it's the best bass I've ever laid my hands on. It's the bass that has given me my username (a very discerning musician said after a gig "it's the most FULL RANGE instrument (not just bass) that I have even heard", thus my nickname)

PS the web is experiencing some problems andd I cannot upload a picture of it, but here is the link to view some of Sheldon's masterpieces of functional art http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664&start=0