What is your [American] MTD made of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I was going to make this a poll, but there are just too many combinations. What is your American MTD made of? I'm curious to see if anyone has one like mine, or what people have thought of the MTDs with my wood choices.

My 535 is:

Maple neck
    Ebony fingerboard
    Mahogany body
    Maple burl top
    matching headstock and truss rod cover (ebony).
    Burgandy stain.
    Everything else "standard."

I got inspired by a friends MTD, that's why I went with the Mahogany. Mine, however, sounds quite different than his. This is my second MTD, my first was the tulipwood, maple burl, wenge neck/fingerboard. I though it had a problem with dead notes, so Mike made me the new one.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Burl myrtle top
    Tulipwood body
    Wenge neck and fingerboard

(see avatar!)
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Solid avadore body, wenge neck and fretboard.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Swamp Ash body, Burled Maple top, Wenge neck/board.
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    535 is maple burl top over ash body, with matching maple burl headstock face. Wenge fretboard over maple neck, with matching Wenge truss rod cover.

Mike T. must have a great time putting these babes together.
  6. blazinbass

Mar 29, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    My 635 (Babs) consist of an Alder bod. (bookmatched)
    Murtle burl top
    Madagascar Rose board (figured)
    Same beautiful piece of rose for headstock and truss cover.
    Maple neck
    Alder battery and electronics covers
    Rosewood control knobs
    21 frets, Black hipshot bridge and tuners
    Single pick-up.
    Just a wonderful piece of art!
    Peace, B.
  7. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    My 535 is:

Wenge neck
    Wenge fingerboard
    Tulipwood body
    Myrtle burl top
    matching headstock
    red? stain

Pic from BassCentral :

8. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Am thinking of getting a 535 built.

Can anyone shed light on the tonal differences between the maple and wenge neck? I've only tried the wenge 535s.

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Pics please! :D

10. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    My 535 has a tulipwood body, maple burl top, wenge neck and wenge fingerboard.
  11. My 535 fretless is:

Honduran Mahogany body blank with Owlseye curly koa on the front and rear.

Curly koa neck with liuned ebony board.

Owlseye koa on the headstock.

Fantastic !

My 435 fretted is:

Alder body blank with burl maple top & matching headstock in deep tobacco burst.

Maple neck with Rosewood board.

It's very deep and full. Nice.

I had a 535 fretted with a swamp ash body with maple burl top in sunset burst, maple neck with a rosewood board.

It was a great slap bass, but too fizzy for my taste and not as deep as the alder 435.

12. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I haven't seen this combo posted yet... so...

MTD 535 #204 (pre-Buzz)

Maple Fingerboard
    Wenge Neck
    Korina Body - no exotic top
    Black-ish stain

The sound is really open, more so than most MTD's I've heard - but with the GRR of wenge & brightness of maple. Quite a combo - records amazingly.

used to have LP pickups in there and it sounded like raw ass - I put the barts back in and it sounded great. But turns out that the luthier that put in the LP pu's did it wrong, which was the problem all along - now I wish I still had the LP's BUT THE LUTHIER TOOK THEM AND SKIPPED TOWN.

Nice eh?

13. Avodire body, redwood top, wenge neck and fretboard. Rockin'! Great bass!
  14. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Here's a Q:

What do you do to clean/oil the maple neck on your MTD? I haven't done a thing to it, besides oil the fingerboard from time to time (read: not very often). Should I be oiling the maple neck?
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Over the past 4 years since I bought the 535, I think I used Butchers Wax on it once. I haven't done anything to the Wenge fretboard other than cleaning it with a dry cloth when I change strings.

The finish seems to hold up well with no problem. When I asked Mike T. about caring for the body finish and the back of the neck (maple). He specifically recommended Butchers Wax, that's the brand name. It's a "rub on / rub off" type of application. Note that this only applies to the American MTDs with the oil finishes. This wax should not be used on the few American MTDs with the high gloss lacquer finish.
  16. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Do you use the bowling alley wax? Do you use it on the body and the neck? Any secrets in the application?

17. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I demand pictures of all of them.
  18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have a Tulipwood body without any exotic top, wenge neck and board, and LP's. It is extremely versitile, and I can dial up just about any sound. A lot of people comment on the sound and I think it might have to with the LP's but it could be because it doesn't have a top and doesn't sound as compressed.
  19. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This pic has been posted before; this is just for the guys that asked.

Sean, Mike Tobias told me to use Butchers Wax on the body and back of neck. I know it's bowling alley wax, but I guess he must know what's best for his finishes.

His instructions were to gently rub it on using a soft cloth, let dry for a short time, then buff to a fine finish. It dries quickly of the humidity is low. He recommended a high quality wood oil or mineral oil for the Wenge fretboard.

20. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hey Jonathan!

Glad to hear you use the word "fantastic" to describe your fretless 535. :)

I've been talking to Mike T. as well as Gard about getting a fretless 535 for myself lately, but you're the first person I've seen that's actually mentioned having one.

Mike T. is in CA at the moment, but mentioned that he's got a korina one in the works with a maple burl top, wenge neck and ebony lined board that should be ready in about 3 weeks. He also had another fretless for the show that some lowlife liberated from him on the inbound trip. (what a drag!)

Anyway, I'm curious to know how you like that ebony fingerboard. I have one on a fretted 5 string Carvin which is awesome, but I've never played a fretless with ebony. Seems like most are some hi-gloss "something-other-than-ebony" material (unobtanium, perhaps? :))

By the way, just mildly curious..... what do you mean by "fizzy"?