What is your definition of a good concert experience?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Apr 23, 2004.

1. One principle of management is to challenge the status quo and redefine the meaning of "value" in order to grow profits. In this context, I would like to know what defines a "good concert experience" for you...any genre, any size. What is "value" when it comes to a concert experience?

Part 1: Give me only your top three choices first...I know that there are many factors, such as sound quality, sound levels, energy, lighting, quality of booze, crowd size, hot chick/guy ratio, number of acts...whatever. But when push comes to shove, what are you willing to really pay for? Assume that the songs are good, so there's no need to add that. Feel free to add whatever else afterwards but let me know your top three picks.

Part 2: Tell me if the concerts you attend normally meet those expectations.

For me:

- Clear sound (good mix and reasonable volume)
    - The band is enthusiastic
    - The bands start on time

Most of the time, I don't get good sound (too loud and muddy) and the bands always start late by at least a half-hour. I hate breaks that are more than 15 minutes between bands. Quite often, the bands are genuinely enthusiastic about playing in Vancouver and give a good effort, especially the out-of-town bands.

Other factors include ticket price (less than $20 please), size of the venue (I like clubs rather than stadiums), crowd enthusiasm and no more than 3 bands per show (I hate all-day concerts).

Anyone else? Remember, you may want to use the findings for your own bands promotion.
  2. Stage Prescence,over-all sound,at a decent volume. Oh,and the closer everyone is squished together,the better.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Good sound and a band's general enthusiasm are important, but imo the most important thing is a band that plays well.
  4. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    A band enjoying themselves and putting everything into the music is one thing. Being tight and focused on the overall sound is another one, as opposed to just letting one member showboat for 90 minutes. I also like to see a bit of audience interaction, which isn't always necessary but IMO adds a special touch to a performance. As much as I like audience interaction however, I HATE it when the frontman rambles on for a good five minutes about worthless crap (a la Phil Anselmo or Bruce Dickinson) when it's the music I paid to see.
  5. [k]
  6. 1)small theatre with SEATING.
    i'm 5'5 and hate not being able to see.

2)no people yelling, moshing, or talking. LISTENING ONLY PLEASE!!!

3)no smoke

it's rare i get a good experience especialy since i really love going to metal shows.

TOOL at Radio City Music Hall with no opening acts was about as close as you can get though.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Good sound, playing, and band enthusiasm.

I prefer shows in clubs or places with seats because there is a greatly reduced chance of getting beer thrown on you.

Only been to one long festival concert (8+ hours) and it was a blast, it was just hard to will myself to pay 3 dollars for a syrofoam cup of ice water.
  8. the best thing that can happen at a show: going to see a band you love that is headlining, and the opening act is someone you never heard of who just blows you away. that's my favorite.

the basics:
    everything starts on time
    cheap beer
    no a$$holes

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Performance and sound quality in addition to how the band delivers the good are importent factors for me.When i saw Metallica last week they went above and beyond my expectations.-
  10. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Those are my basic requirements as well. I have had the opening band thing happen a few times.

I remember seeing a pre-record release Alice in Chains opeing up for King's X around 90'.

And I also remember seeing SoundGarden open up for Voivod and Faith No More around the same time in a small club. I was pleasantly surprised......... a few other similar experiences, but that is all I can remember off the top of my head.

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    1 - Good sound
    2 - Bands must throw in jams/medley's/improvisations, thats whats special about going to a show.
    3 - Energy. By that i mean have stage presence, but not too much, and give your energy out to the crowd through your music....

Very true i agree very much.
  13. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I saw Metallica play at a private show that was in a club and it was so loud that I could not enjoy it. Even with earplugs! The volume was unbelievable! :eek:

But that's just me, the rest of the people there seemed to like it.

They do play on the loud side, when did you see them ?.
  15. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Around 98' or so in a club in Toronto.
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For me, it's a combination of so many factors. But, for one thing, predictability is a bad thing.

I want the sound to be great. Bad sound is hard to follow the music. If I can't follow the music, there's no point in my listening, right?

Second of all, the musicianship/songwriting. I realize these two factors are different, but can also work together. Simply getting up on stage and playing exactly as done on the CD doesn't really do it for me. Again, why would I pay lots of money to hear something I already hear, over and over. In this context, musicianship allows the song to move to a new level, and hopefully move *me* in the process. Jamming is good, but can be done poorly. That's why the musicianship and songwriting are married, at least to me, and in this context.

Third of all is showmanship. Again, I can pop in a great live CD and be as moved as seeing a band that covers the first two but not this one. Why should I go to a show where I'm not VISUALLY stimulated?

I've been to way too many shows to be impressed anymore. It's a major yawn-fest for me to see two guitars, a bass player, and drummer play to the audience but not play *FOR* the audience.

Oops...I think that may be 4... :ninja:
  17. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Garage Inc tour? I saw them in Chicago on that tour. Amazing show. It was my first Metallica show. Hammett had his appendix removed, so he was playing seated the whole time. Hetfield gave him all sorts of crap about it. Some of it was funny. The opening band played Metallica's songs and did a good job of it. Metallica played all covers. Many of them I had already heard, most were new to me though since Garage Inc wasn't out yet. I get to see them twice this year.
  18. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am not sure what they were playing for. I do remember the show was for contest winners. I was there because my band was in town and we were playing the same club the next night.

From what you described, I guess that is the tour I saw them on. I do remember Hammet sitting in a chair while preforming.

But man, it was loud! Like 747 taking off loud!

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    1. The band is tight.
    2. The sound engineer is competent.
    3. They start on time, to the second.
  20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

* Carnegie hall with perfect acoustics
    * A charged crowd
    * A band with superb music live, small amps and
    ready, willing and able to take care of business at
    7:59:59 PM , striking the first note one second later.

= Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Mclaughlin, Rick Laird,
    Jan Hammer, Jerry Goldman and Billy Cobham.

I have seen many groups, but none better mixed, more
    focused, more professional or better rehearsed. Or more

I was ready to quit playing altogether after that show, it
    can be disheartening to find out that you will 'never be that
    good ...', but I got over it. Part of growing up.