What is your definition of "affordable?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godlikenothing, Jun 2, 2003.

1. godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    I was just wondering what everyone's idea of an "affordable" price is. I was reading an article on the internet and it mention that a $900 bass was affordably priced, this seems to be pushing it a bit. I'd say that my idea of affordable would be anything under $600 or $700. Even $700 might be a little too great for me. Of course, I do not have a well paying job, nor do I play tons gigs where a instrument of great quality is needed. I know your definition will vary depending on skill, level, income, etc. so it will be interesting to see some opinions.
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    MIM Fenders are 'affordable' to me.
  3. You pretty much answered your question. :) Depends on your income.

Under a grand is affordable to me.
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    How ever much money I have in my bank account :p
  5. :D Last year I bought a new F-Bass for $3500 CAD (about $2450 US) which I found to be very "affordable" then.

:)Earlier this year, I bought I new Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub instead of another F-Bass, because it was "affordable" at $1195 CAD (about $840 US).

:p For the rest of this year, unless I get a few more sales commissions, "affordable" would be under $100!!:eek:
  6. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    I have two different views of "affordable":

1. Im on the forums, and someone posts a picture of a new bass that they just recieved, and I say to myself, "man, thats a nice guitar, if I ever get to a situation where I will need that quality of bass for recording purposes in a professional environment that pays well, then I will definalty make the investment."

2. I'm in the local music store, and they have a new SWR Bass head hooked up to a goliath. "Hey, thats neat, do you mind if I plug in to hear it?" "No prob, take your time...have fun!" Hours later, they are sweeping the floors and shutting down all the electronics in the store, and as I get ushered towards the door, I make some quick calculations and plan a couple of sacrifices and scream: "I'll take it! I'll take it! here's my checkbook, here's my wallet, take it all just dont make me leave her here all alone!!!" [Sobs]

So there you have it. Smart thinking vs. Gear/Guitar Acuisition Syndrome.

I didn't mean to stink up the room with my gas.
  7. #1 sounds way too responsible. #2 is where it's always been at for me. :D
  8. godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    God I hate you:p
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    nothing is affordable for me, but sometimes I'm able to beg and beg (my wife) until she relents and gives me "authority" to buy something that's not affordable!;)

*actually, she is awesome and if she wasn't a supporter of my music it would have been over long ago...:D (my music that is--don't get me wrong, I like the bass, I love my gal)
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Here's to that. My wife is wonderful, she knows how important music is to me and trusts me to only buy stuff we can afford, and stuff that I'll use. Within those parameters, I have free reign.

While I do buy too much stuff, I do sell the stuff I don't use. Now that might take a while, and I may (for example) have a few preamps at a time while I'm trying some out. But when I'm finished trying out, the unused ones will get sold again.

As to what's affordable, I'm extremely lucky in that I can afford pretty much anything I want. I'm a VP of an Investment Bank, my wife has a well paid job in marketing and we have no kids (but do have a mortgage). Because she's so good about my music equipment, I feel the need to be fair and act responsibly. So no new Ken Smith bass every month for me ;)

While I've worked very hard to get where I am, I still know I'm very lucky to be in this position. I remember where I came from (we both grew up in very poor families) and always have a mental list prepared of what I would absolutely have to keep in the event of finances taking a turn for the worse. I also know that in a few years time we'll have at least one kid so I'm enjoying this freedom before it disappears!

In the past, I've never had any problems bankrupting myself for the right bit of gear. When I bought my Warwick Thumb5 10 years ago, I was single and just out of college. I was broke for two years because of that purchase, but it was worth it :)
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Over the past few years I've been saying "below $1k", but considering the quality you can get for much less than that (MTD, MIM Fender), I think $500 would be more accurate.
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Lately for me its been about 6+k a bass...about a year and a half ago I thought 500 dollars was too much for a bass. Go figure.
  13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Whatever's left after the rent's been paid?
  14. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    well said. seems we have a similar situation, except I'm a teacher with 2 kids which equals POOR MUSICIAN.:D :D (with lots of time now that school is out!!!:cool: )
  15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I believe in spending what you can and get the best you can for that amount of money. I have a Pedulla ET-6 that I paid $2400 for about 8 years ago, but now I try to keep it under 1K, those big name brand basses really do kick ass, but you can find something for about 1/3 of the price that's probably close enough.

For example: I was recently in the market for a 6-string fretless, well, about the cheapest I could find that I was going to be satisfied with was a Carvin for about $1500. But I knew I couldn't afford that. So, I looked and looked, and watched eBay. Well, I found this one brand, very unknown, very cheap, very Korean (<roll eyes>imagine that</roll eyes>). A brand new 6-string fretless, dual active humbuckers w/ no fret lines. Exactly what I wanted, for $300.

Am I high? nope, go here to see.

(the red one, the blue one has fret lines)
    I actually played it out the other night at a show, it performed quite well. If you get one, I should mention that you will probably want to do some wiring changes, I mention them in some of my other posts.

It's probably not as good as a Carvin, but for 1/5th of the price, why not try it. I'm not dissapointed. I use it and my Pedulla side by side now. Price isn't everything.
  16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Correction: The bass was $269.95 + $23 for shipping for a whopping total of $292.95. If that's not 'affordable', then you're just plain poor and shouldn't be playing bass, hehe.

17. 6 GRAND?! ARE YOU NUTS! :eek:
  18. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Of course he is, he plays Foderas. :D
  19. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Jared....has your playing improved 12 times since last year?

I've had some financial ups and downs..traded two nice basses to get one and some cash. Just opted to get a Stringray 5 slightly used for a second bass to go along with the higher end F Bass. I used to have a Lakland and 2 F's (extreme GAS syndrome), got rid of 3 speaker cabs and got one...sold it and got another one with a little more booty. At least everything sounds good and is useable now.

I turn over basses, cabinets and cars. It's not a good habit. Those of you/us/them that have weathered the economy and know week to week what you have coming in money wise, will obviously find a different and more consistent meaning to affordable than some of us do right now.

Whatever your situation financially, however you chose to balance your income and expenses, however you prioritize equipment and GAS in general's really up to you. The only reason that the F bass and Stingray are "affordable" to me is I had some good fortune 9 to 18 months ago, bought some stuff then, and ended up trading and selling it to get what I have now without a lot of extra moolah being generated.

I'm playing more this year than I have in the last 15. I'm making more per gig average this year than ever before. It doesn't matter if my "real" profession is sputtering along. It's nice to have spending money. It's not enough to fuel a good, solid GAS attack. Affordable, after the SR5 is NOTHING else for the foreseeable future.