Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is "your" effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pesticle, Dec 30, 2002.

1. I was just curious what all of your guys favorite effect you've found over your pedal tinkering.

mine is :
    small bit of overdrive with a little bass and mids boost, little treble cut,(getting a metal grind tone) then add a little bit of slow phaser

:D i always find myself coming back to that one

i was just wondering what the other talkbass effects users out there really take a liking to. if you guys want you could add a little sound sample for us to hear it :D

thanks

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Lately I've really been digging the sound I get from running a tiny bit of gain from my VooDooBass distortion, combined with a slow, deep phaser sound, all notes palm-muted.

Kinda thick and chunky, yet still weird. I'll probably tire of that in a few days or so, though.

Aside from the flavor of the week, the only tone I find myself coming back to again and again is clean.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hey, that's mine!! ;)

4. Lots of Distortion and Overdrive, a bit of Phaser and Flanger, and a Black and Decker Power Drill...

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    String mutes and a pair of oven gloves! ........:eek: :confused: :D

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Prunes & Custard... Level @ 1, Mix @ 12, Drive @ 1. Very expressive yet nasty synth sound.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Slightly overdriven preamp followed by a bit of chorus sometimes followed by a slow whooshing flanger.

Its usually just the pre slightly overdriven though, I just use the chorus to thicken up the sound and give it a slight ringing effect, with the flanger just for fun with its slow hypnotic sound.

Sometimes I add more dist, but thats not often.

Peace
    Nick

8. Ever so slight overdrive with a little compression, I don't need any other effects (although an EBS BassIQ would be nice and a EHX Bass Microsynth and,andand... well nothing really necessary, but I want one of those new Hipshot Bass Whammys (OK no electronic effect))

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wah. Funky, expressive, and groovetacular.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Why is it that effects haters even bother coming to the effects forum? :confused: Oh yeah: to act all smug that they don't use effects. :rolleyes: ;)

That reminds me, I'm going to fire up my EBS BassIQ tonight...haven't used it in awhile. I should probably get an octave divider to go with it.

Aside from that, I like to pull some occasional grind from my SABDDI... and I max out the fuzz for Blur's "Song 2".

11. TOOTHY999

TOOTHY999

Sep 8, 2002
    I Dont NEED PEDALS!!!

...because i dont have any money:(...

12. Compression->Octave->Distortion->Chorus

Heavy as hell, but I boost the mids and treble for cutting power and chunk. I turn the disto off and I have a beautiful clean sound that has a nice effect but still lets the smoothness come through.

Next: a Wah. Played one yesterday, oh my god. I'll have to mod the Crybaby 105Q for a shorter release delay, but it rocks.

13. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I now dub you "Sir Smugley of Nitpickerswurth". :p

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My "Suck" pedal - it's always on. In fact, I think it's built into my cords!

15. on my Zoom 506 I've got a setting with envelope filter with a bit of flanger and a ping-pong delay-
    with tapping it gets very close to the synth sound on the Orb's "Little fluffy clouds":)

16. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz and compression. I generally keep the BOF settings low, which gives me my idea of a nice, smooth overdrive sound. I also use fairly stiff compressor settings. I stop short of hard limiting (and breathing), but I really like a pretty compressed sound.

17. the only effect I use is the volume knob on my bass.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or could it be that any sensible person just uses the "New since last login" feature and replies to whatever comes up?

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can't tell you the last time I actually entered a forum...at least a week.

20. Boss NS-50 Noise Suppressor
    Compression
    BBE