1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your EUB case?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jdh3000, Jun 12, 2020.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I’m interested to see what others are using. I know many are just content with gigbags... but I like a hard case.
    I would love to hear any ideas.

I’ve not found anything that I’m completely satisfied with.
    I’m not crazy about the stock gig bag that came with my NXT4... the bass itself measures 53” x 6” x 4”

I bought what was advertised as a cheap used sportube series 2 but turned out to be a series 3, so I had to fabricate some extra padding to slide support the bass and stand inside the bag. It's not the easiest thing to extract from the case and more bulky than necessary.

Then I found a round case made from culvert pipe, about 5 ft by 8 inches. It's ok, less bulky than the sportube, again it's not easy access. It’s the best I’ve found so far.

I know I'm being picky but I'm continually looking for a better case in a reasonable price range.

I would love to have a padded hinged case or one that could easily be padded that I could lay the bass in. I don’t really care if it has room for the stand, I can find plenty of things it will fit in and just latch it to a case.

Pelican has a Storm case that looks like it would work, a bit pricey but about what a new sportube 2 would cost, possibly enough room for bass and stand. Yes bulky but easier access.

Plano has a jumbo fishing rod case but looks pretty long at the shortest length, and would be a top loading device.

I’ve heard about recurve bow cases but cannot find anything that looks like a fit.

I really do not understand why an actual case, and not an expensive flight case is not available for these things.

I have considered building one but my construction skills result less than adequate products. The last case I built was for a turned out to be a 40 lb. case for a 40 lb. keyboard.

Custom shops want as much as a flight case would cost to build one.

Would live to see any ideas y’all have come up with.

P_Robyn and TheDirtyLowDown like this.
  2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    jdh3000 and TheDirtyLowDown like this.
  3. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    Sweet! I still use the zippered gig bag that came with my CR4M, and it has NOT worn well -- it's still use-able, but only barely. [ rips, tears, zipper malfunctions, some duct tape -- you get the picture ]

So I'm interested in something like this. I'm not using the CR4M in my current band, but when I do again, I'll get one of these.

4. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've heard of some folks using double snow board bags or cases. I use a Messina Covers bag that I bought used. Edit: There are also travel golf bag cases that work if you want to go through taking the neck off and putting it back on.

jdh3000 likes this.
  5. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    That's good... I'm glad to hear that’s working for you. I think that is just like the Sportube series 2. Had I gotten that size instead of the 3, I probably would’ve been a little more pleased with it.

I have thought about a series 1 just for the bass, if the dimensions are correct I should be able to carpet the inside and slide the bass in and out easily.
    I could come up with something for the stand and and a latch to keep me from leaving it at home.

It is an awkward size. It seems there are several decent priced oversized rifle cases that are about an inch off.

I really just need something to pack in my small suv that I don't have to worry about something shifting and damaging the instrument. We I to fly with it, I would most likely use the sportube.

6. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016

I don’t even like tuning... I couldn’t imaging reattaching a neck, lol! Just joking, yes I've heard about doing that.
    This one has a thru neck anyway.

Do the messina bags real thick padding? The only way I carry any instrument in a bag is if it’s thick enough to absorb a lot of shock.

Thanks!

7. John Chambliss

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yes, the Messina bags are well made with thick padding. Since they are custom made, you pay for the excellent quality!

jdh3000 likes this.
  8. John Chambliss

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I think I would look at the Gollihur case.

9. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I’ve searched far and wide for different options.

There are not many things that share at least these dimensions that warrant a case... at least that I can find.

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    I have the Gollihur case as well. I like it. One of these days though I am going to see if I can fit my NXT fretted cello and my CR5M in it at the same time...

jdh3000 likes this.
  11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I bought a Carruthers SUB-1 (like one I had years ago) for outdoor gigs. To my pleasant surprise, it had spent several years traveling the world in this road case:

RYf29SR.jpg

I bought a used snowboard bag off EBay. I'll either add padding or wrap the EUB with a quilt.

The EUB has been an unexpected bonus during CoViD: Playing unplugged I can do something fairly DB-like without disturbing the family.

jdh3000 likes this.
  12. Ok, Sam. I'm going to have to hear that story.

13. Made this coffin for my EUB. 4mm ply with all corners reinforced with timber stringers, a hinged lid and covered with vinyl. Bass sits comfortably in foam supports at each end. 9 The coffin.jpg

14. That's really nice! How much does the case weigh? What are the external dimensions? I've been toying with making a case for my Ergo 4 EUB, but right now it's on a back burner....

jdh3000 likes this.
  15. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    That's what I use, a snowboard case I got on the cheap for around $20, but I don’t remember where online I bought it. I use it for my Yamaha SLB 200 that I bought off eBay for 800 smackers. It came without the body rests simulating the upper bouts or the case it comes with.

1EF9E12D-3FBC-43E3-9095-9AE65F47035F.jpeg

Attached Files:

jdh3000 and Sam Sherry like this.
  16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Not much. I bought it off of Reverb. It turns out the seller knew the former owner, who had toured for several years with Fiona Apple among other well-known folks. Those tags are way to cool to paint over!

Because the seller didn't know much about the mods the first owner had done, he kindly put me in touch with the first owner. Keith was extremely gracious to spend a while on the phone. Very knowledgeable, very chill . . . whole ton o' work crapped out due to the pandemic . . .

I wanted a limited-usage tool to keep my beloved antique DB at home on things like outdoor gigs and rehearsals in the dead of Maine winter. This is my second SUB-1; the goal of 're-buying' was to avoid a Quixotic Quest For Perfection with attendant over-spending.

With the particular bass, all the good mods were already done. The semi-parametric eq is nice, the second piezo socket is great, but the second 9V hookup is a must. 18V preamp means instant extra headroom -- no question, you notice right away. The road box would be a plus without the graphics but it's even better with 'em!

KUNGfuSHERIFF and jdh3000 like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The best I have seen is the Home Depot tubing option. Put foam in both end. To protect the instrument, get a length of cotton fleece. Wrap and slide into the tube. Easy in easy out, good protection.

P_Robyn and jdh3000 like this.
  18. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Which tube from Home Depot? Is it just a pvc pipe? I’ve not seen any pvc with enough diameter.

I’m using this culvert pipe. 5CCA95FE-8718-4580-9534-27E9DB267FAF.jpeg

If it connected in the middle I might like it a letter better.

it’s definitely tough and sturdy.
    I have foam at both ends, the bass goes in a bag an into the 8” diameter, then shove a pool noodle in to keep it stable.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    P_Robyn and Sam Sherry like this.
  19. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    That is very nice!

I’ve wanted to make something like this, but so afraid I won’t get it right. I don’t have to best cutting tools anyway.

20. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Here’s what I’m thinking about getting. The dimensions are right, it has foam that can be cut to fit. It’s hinged and has wheels.
    It Just costs more that I really want to spend but I think it will do. 025D4F42-D34E-4CC0-8F7D-988973D970C9.jpeg

Interior (L×W×D)
    54.50 x 10.00 x 6.00 in
    (138.4 x 25.4 x 15.2 cm)

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/storm/im3410

coyoteboy and P_Robyn like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021