1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your favorite bass chorus pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DLI848, May 19, 2011.

1. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Danelectro Cool Cat(original, not the new one).

2. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    You might want to look into this:

ChromaChorus

3. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    On the subtle side, boss ceb-3 delivers. I also use it for a kinda-fretless sound in my pink floyd tribute band (hey you)

4. I had a Boss CEB-3 chorus for awhile, then I happened across a DOD FX63 Deep Freeze bass chorus for next to nothing and it is INFINITELY better than my Boss! So the Boss is gone now, hehe.

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    The new Tech 21 Bass Chorus. Does everything I've ever wanted from a chorus. :)

6. alexa.

alexa.

Jan 31, 2011
    Croatia
    Tnx, I did :)
    Didn't really perceive it as a metallic sounding chorus.
    How would you describe it? I'm really just looking for enough reasons to justify buying one.

7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I've always enjoyed the chorus in any of the BOSS digital multieffects. Usually gives you choices of chorus voices, plus all of the normal chorus parameters, and some of the boxes like the GT-10B give you a 2x2 chorus which gives you a controllable crossover/frequency split and basically separate choruses into each band which allows some really fun chorus options.

8. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I personally use the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress for the odd bit of chorus. Not something that I use a lot, tho, due to the type of music I usually play.

9. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I have gone through more chorus pedals than any other variety of effect, and my favorite chorus effect is the built-in from a Roland Jazz Chorus. But, as that is not a pedal, my answer is probably the EHX Stereo Polychorus, which is insanity, pure and simple. A very powerful chorus, but not a very intuitive one. Getting an orthodox chorus sound takes some doing, but when used in conjunction with the JC-55 (which is the Jazz Chorus I own), I have the thick, nauseating chorus I love.

But, if the Strymon Ola is as good as I want it to be, I'm going to change my answer. Same goes with the nonexistent Fulltone CFV-2.

10. bunker

bunker

May 7, 2011
    Boss DC 3 Digital Dimension if you can find one. Sounds great with bass, guitar, synths. electric piano..pretty much everything I've ever fed into it! When you think of a spacious sound nothing does it quite like one of these but for the full effect you need to use it in stereo. There was an earlier analogue version, the DC 2 but that only had 4 push buttons where as the DC 3 has four knobs.

Both these pedals were based in one way or another on Roland's legendary Dimension D studio chorus unit (which only had 5 push buttons but what a set!) and its reputation is well deserved. Sadly Boss discontinued the DC range years ago but there was something very special in the way they treated the stereo imaging rather than just flipping the phase of one of the outputs as most (if not all) other chorus pedals do.

There are a plethora of chorus pedals out there and my advice would be to try out as many as you can, ideally with your own guitar and amp if possible. Try cheap second hand rack gear if you can. Bass chorus pedals are optimised for the lower band of frequencies your bass gives out just as guitar chorus pedals are designed for higher guitar frequencies. Rack gear tends to accept a wider range of frequencies and therefore will work equally well without rolling off any lows.

Your 'sound' will be out there somewhere, just a case of finding it!

11. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    TC Electronics SCF...not many "fans" of this pedal, but I like it for it's subtle chorus sounds....

12. [​IMG]
    ^
    This little guy lasted the longest on my pedalboard. I literally just took it off after a very long time. I used it as a deep chorus.

I have an old 18 volt Cool Cat that I liked for subtle chorus but the power supply became a pain for me.

PS- I have an Ibanez CS9 on the way.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

JHS custom pedals. (Bass chorus)
    Best I've ever played.

14. I noticed that a lot of bass players use the Boss CE-5. I found this interesting considering Boss make the CEB-3 yet that doesn't seem to get the love that the CE-5 gets.
    Is the CE-5 a better sound for bass than the CEB-3?

15. Kalik

Kalik

Apr 15, 2010
    France
    I like my old Boss CE-2B (brown and gold version) a lot. It sounds so warm and liquid that I can't turn it off. Some guys told me I sounded like Simon Gallup on stage, maybe the Thunderbird-Ampeg-CE-2B worked !

I would like to try a MXR Stereo Chorus though.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Maxon CS9 Pro is capable of sounds ranging from subtle shimmer to almost all out warble, and dead silent on the hiss factor as well. Been happy with mine for 2-3 yrs, after owning approx 20 other chorus pedals.

17. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    ive been using the digitech cr-7. although its the only chorus i've used i havent felt the need to look elsewhere

18. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    I read this forum a lot, and noticed how much love Boss CE-5 has gotten. So I got a used on recently, and though it's my first chorus, I can't imagine looking for another one for a long time. It works really well with bass.

19. I'm anxiously awaiting the European release of the Tech 21 Boost Bass Chorus. I've been on the lookout for a chorus for a while now, and this one seems like it could deliver the sounds I wanted.