1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your favorite bass for playing rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman74, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Precision bass

228 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Jazz bass

90 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Rickenbacker

56 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Warwick corvette

15 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Stingray

52 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Others

164 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My one and only >

H63785000001000-00-500x500.
    20171227_085924. 20180118_222210.

JIO, Bassmike62, No Treble and 3 others like this.
  2. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Get them all ;)
    I personally love my Ricks best for most any music i play,but am trying to have a well rounded collection of different classic basses for flavor variety.
    So,i got several different Ricks,(4000 and a bunch of 4004’s), a 57 Reissue P, a standard J,yamaha bb 1200,Fernandes 8-string,and the newest one,an Epiphone Embassy which is for me the Tbird alternative. Gotta say they all sound awesome,but that Embassy is prett dang cool and has a great classic tbird sound. It would be a really low cost alternative sound to the OP’s P bass.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Korladis and bassman74 like this.
  3. Heather Shallowpoint

Heather Shallowpoint

Jan 21, 2015
    Tn
    I use a Schecter Devil Tribal Diamond series,i have had this bass for at least ten yrs,love it! sounds great
    looks awesome,i like it so much that i just went out and bought another exact same one,for a backup! lol

BOOG likes this.
  4. The German Brit

The German Brit

Apr 6, 2011
    Only one Bass for me my Epiphone Thunderbird.

5. Thunderbird ALL...THE...WAY!

JIO, catcauphonic and RedVee like this.
  6. ejt

ejt

Feb 29, 2012
    I love my Yamaha BX-1, and have played everything from 80's rock to metal with it. I have a kinda sorta Tool sound going, biamped with huge bass and treble-y highs from Ernie Ball stainless roundwounds and stainless steel picks. I don't care what a purist might say, it sounds good on everything from Aerosmith to ZZ Top as well as originals IMHO. I like a sound that both cuts through on top and lays down a heavy bottom end. I picked up a BX-5 five string as a backup and for songs that need to go below low E. Having said all this, I spent many years playing my trusty Gibson EB2-DC modified with a DiMarzio bridge pickup. It was great for when I was a Cream fanatic and I'll never get rid of it, and still play it on certain songs.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  7. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    For just just straight ahead rock i'd go Tbird, Rick or L2000. The L2000 being by far the most versatile of the bunch. If it ventures into metal territory I'd move towards Spector, Warwick, Dingwall etc...

RedVee and GBassNorth like this.
  8. timfinle

timfinle

Apr 5, 2013
    For good old rock, I like my Tobias classic. Real thumping sound. Also, my alembic works great since it can make any tone, deep bass to treble.

9. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    nice bass. honest wear.

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

A four string

No Treble likes this.
  11. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    See avatar. '82 G&L L-2000 Series E. Both pickups on parallel mode, treble on full, bass on 80%, hit it hard.

12. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They kinda have a ying & yang thing going there with each other. I like

4stringsjack likes this.
  13. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    Gotta agree with you on the sound, however the big drawback is weight. Forget these for anyone with back and neck problems like myself. 1 set and I'm done.

14. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    Is it true these are lighter n weight than the L-2000's or L-2500's?

15. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    I am totally surprised nobody has mentioned the late 60's, early 70's or even the reissue for that matter----Ampeg Dan Amstrong plexy bass!!! Nothing can beat that punch you in the gut deep low bass from the super high output on steroids overwound pickup, with the possible exception of the same era Gibson EBO with the mudbucker pickup. But not everyone dug those EBO short scale necks. That Ampeg DA at least had a long scale neck. Run that baby through your tradional SVT 300 tube watts w/ 8--10's and baby that's ROCK defined.

16. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    Thinking more about this baby's got me jonesing to get it out of storage and play a gig with it. And get a pic posted of course.

catcauphonic likes this.
  17. jessestern

jessestern

Mar 14, 2011
    Los Angeles, California CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Reunion Blues, Moollon, Levy's
    The Moollon Classic P is an insanely cool bass for rock. The pickup is different, a lot more aggressive, gritty, and modern sounding. The Fender Jazz for rock is not to be overlooked. Or grab up one of the 5,000,000 Gibson EB-0's that float around for cheap.

Attached Files:

stephenb923 likes this.
  18. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Either of my T-Birds.

JIO and RedVee like this.
  19. That is gorgeous.

RedVee and catcauphonic like this.
  20. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Has the OP kept a tally of the various “others”?
    It would be fun to see how that breaks out. I’m not volunteering though :laugh: