1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your favorite bass for playing rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman74, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Precision bass

228 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Jazz bass

90 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Rickenbacker

56 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Warwick corvette

15 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Stingray

52 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Others

164 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    and my latest......... Baby...
    Pictured with amp.
    Berg.

2. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Back in the day when I played more “rock” my favorite was a euro Spector liked it better than the USA one I also had.

woodyng2 likes this.
  3. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    “Rock” covers a lot of ground sound wise. The Beatles sound pretty mellow.

Asking Alexandria, Stone Sour, Nothing more... Not so much. The guys in Velvet Revolver & Guns N’ Roses have a pretty distinct sound, Duff’s bass tone and playing is a big part. I don’t know if I’d be up for a Hofner with flats in hard rock.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers get pretty funky every once in a while. U2 has very distinct sound and Adam Clayton has a lot to do with it.

I’ve yet to find a spot where I couldn’t make a Precision, P/J or Stingray with a set of broken in Rotosound steels where the super bright top end mellowed and the midrange presence really shining work though. I like a lot of Warwicks, namely the Streamer LX, or a Spector NS-4 for heavier stuff. A straight Jazz sometimes is s little thin sounding for me. I never was a Rickenbacker fan.

I still think a 1.625” nut width and a “Modern C” shape à la the 2008-2015 American Standard Precision is my favorite neck shape.

4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Fender Rumble 500 Stack.JPG Since I got this Fender Rumble 500 combo amp/ 15" cab rig, I've been fooling around with this little Eastwood Flying V bass. It seems to play any kind of "Rock" that I like to play, quite well. There are other basses that I prefer for some kinds of Rock (like, Rockabilly, for instance; or Surf), but it does them well enough to get by... And, if you can stand the killer neck dive?
    Kramer 2.JPG For just about any kind of rock you want to play, this monster will do you mighty proud.. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    RedVee likes this.
  5. P bass, Rickenbacker, Thunderbird and Spector, the order of which changes with my mood.

RedVee and woodyng2 like this.
  6. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I like the chunky grunt of my Epiphone Embassy Pro....very different from my Ricks.

Attached Files:

RedVee and Glenn Johnson like this.
  7. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I'm a P-bass nut but I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Embassy Pro. Not the usual Gibson mud. Aggressive as #¤%!!! Exceptionally good for the price! Unfortunately I got one from the batch that had the bridge mounted slightly too close to the neck making it impossible to intonate properly. So I returned it for a refund and now they're sold out everywhere I can realisticly get it from (CITES). Rumours say new batch w/pao ferro coming Oct/Nov. I'll get one IMMEDIATELY!!! Great bass! But very poor from Epiphone that they didn't recall the faulty ones but sold them to unsuspecting customers even though they were aware of the problem with the bridge.

woodyng2 and RedVee like this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

The one in my hand at the time.

9. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017

DarnellBass and RedVee like this.
  10. a 5-string PJ, Those have worked in every genre I've ever played, Rock included.

11. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I got mine from Sweetwater fairly early after they were introduced. I talked to one of their reps at length,and was very pleased that the one i received was well constructed, great frets, fit,etc.
    After i realized what a nice bass it was,i ordered the Epi hardshell case made for it, I love that it is a full 34” scale,but has a very comfortable compact feel.

12. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

The Epi EB-3.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019 at 8:40 PM
  13. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Lately for rock my bass of choice is a Rickenbacker 4003s/5. It really is a rock machine when it comes to getting a nice, aggressive tone. My Lull NRT5 and Dingwall NG-3 5 string are close seconds.

Bones

14. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    Peavey DynaBass

15. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    I own a fender jazz, warwick corvette $$ (MIG) and a rickenbacker. I dont have a personal favorite per say, I grab whatever i'm feeling that day. its usually the rickenbacker though, but I like them all

16. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    This is an opinion question. So, I say, Precision Bass guitar is an excellent all around bass for rock. A good example is The Who's album Live At Leeds. John used a P Bass. Great sound!

Turn off the one side where Pete is playing and you'll hear John. Glorious!

woodyng2 likes this.
  17. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    It depends. The obvious Rock all-rounder is a P-Bass, which I usually don't play just to be different, and I don't have a great P-Bass. For punk rock and garage styles, I prefer a Mustang with Dunlop Flats. It's very percussive and punchy, while still having all the necessary frequencies. It's more versatile than it looks, and it cuts through a wall of crunchy guitars. It just kicks when you're playing with a pick and locking in on 8th notes, or playing punchy walking lines:
    [​IMG]
    For other types of rock, where I need a deeper, fuller sound, I play an Ibanez RB 820. It's a passive bass from the early 80s with one pickup in the Music Man position. I like the middy authority of that pickup position. I like that it's full-size, unlike my Mustang, and I like the way it looks. While the Mustang cuts through, this is about providing a big cushion, although you can thin out the sound with the tone control and the series/parallel/single switch. It sounds better with guitars that give it some room, which would include crunchy hard rock, etc.
    RB.

woodyng2 likes this.