Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your favorite bass performance video?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Johnalex, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    What is your favorite bass PERFORMANCE video? not instructional video. The video does not have to be primarily bass, it could be a video of a band that has great bass work.

My favorite is most likely Bass Day 98': Victor Wooten. I could watch it all day.

P.S. I hope I have this in the right forum.....since it is a recording :cool:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a video of Chick Corea with Joe Henderson, Lenny White and Stanley Clarke - great music and the Double Bass solos are amazing - faster than most bass guitar players! :eek:

3. Do you speak of "Chick Corea: A Very Special Concert" Bruce?

4. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    OK, how 'bout performance/instructional videos, does that count? Here's my vote: the Rocco Prestia instructional video (sorry) has many performances where Rocco plays some example, and then, magically, the entire Tower of Power band joins in, live onstage. As an extra bonus, it's my favorite T.O.P. line-up, with Tom Bowes on vocals and Russ Mckinnon on drums (whatever happened to that guy, anyway? Great groove drummer!).
    Since there's only 24 hours in one day, why not satisfy your exercising AND viewing pleasures at the same time?:D

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

(Thoughts from Moderator: I will use a liberal interpretation of "recording" and include VCR and DVD under "recordings", being as we are not exactly overwhelmed with posts anyway in this forum. Besides many VCRs are based on recordings and albums which come either before or after the video. And VCRs I have seen have spurred me to buy recordings of the artists in the video.)

Two videos I have particularly enjoyed are "Sade" which was a concert tour she had back in the mid nineties. It has excellent footage of Paul Denman, one of my favorite bassists. I've watched that video dozens and dozens of times and never tire of it.

(As an aside. Sade has a new album coming out on Feb 5. It is from her most recent concert tour and is called "Lovers Live." I'm hoping it is better than her last album which was somewhat of a disappointment for me. It is also said that anew concert video will be available of this same tour. I can't wait to get my hands on it.)

Another video I have enjoyed tremendously is a Pat Metheney concert video of a tour through South America. I have that video packed away as I am getting ready to move, so I can't check the name of the video.

A guilty pleasure video I have enjoyed many times is "The Eagles" Hell Freezes Over" tour. It shows Timothy B. Schmitt playing Pino Palladino's fretless bassline for "New York Minute" on a fretless Carvin.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I know I keep going on about it, but my favourite is "The Day the Bass Players Took Over the World" with Dave Pomeroy, Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, Bill Dickens, Oteil Burbridge and the All-Bass Orchestra. There's something in there for just about everyone.

7. The Joy Division live video.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    VIDEO CLIPS:

CLICK ME!!

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I particularly like two Zappa vids:
    "Baby Snakes" (bassist: Pat O'Hearn)
    "Does Humour Belong In Music?" (bassist: Scott Thunes)

10. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Here's another one: the recent Prince Live DVD. Apart from a great concert, you can also select a "Special Grooves" segment in the menu, which offers the greatest grooves this side of P-funk.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have to agree with you.. Bass Day 98' was amazing!! I'd like to also say that I was there in person!!****

**** I'd LIKE to say that... unfortunately I was nowhere near there at the time!! :(

12. I really like "Michael Manring: The Artist's Profile."

13. Yes: Live at the House of Blues (1999).

Singlehandedly got me back into bass and music. Chris just looked like he was having TOO much fun, and it was infectious.

14. The Cure In Orange.

I first saw a heavily edited version of it when I was just starting on bass, and it took me ages to work out what was going on re. the bassline to "Piggy in the mirror".
    okay, looking at it since it's just fairly simple useage of doublestops, but at the time I was totally stumped by it.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hard to see him play most of the time! The New Order videos Taras Shevchenko and Pumped Full Of Drugs have better lighting and more close-ups. :)

16. my favorite video where the bassist stands out is the all too famous video where the bassist of Nirvana throws up his bass and it lands on his head. :p