Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is your favorite/best all tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Feb 26, 2006.

1. i'm looking at getting an all tube head probibly over the summer and just wanted to know what everyones favorite all tube head was or what they think was the best one. Just let me know basically which one you like the best or think is the best or your personal favorite, why you think that, and what type over music you guys play using that head. thanks so much in advance.

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Do you have any guidelines for power, weight, features, etc.? Otherwise, answers will be all over the map.

What kind of gigs? Cabs? Are you willing to haul around a 100 lb head?

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Definately check out the new Ampeg SVT-VR which comes out in a couple weeks. Also check out the Orange AD200b and the Sadowsky SA200b.

Have fun!
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Love my Mesa 400+. I really liked the vintage Ampeg SVT I got to use at a gig once :smug: . Trace V4 was one of the best tones I have heard in a long time, wish I could get ahold of a V6, or maybe even a V8? :bag: . I have to say the very best sounding amp I have ever heard was the Aguilar 728 with the 680 in the front and a Bergie 610 in the rear.

5. no guidelines as far as power, just now over a 1000 watts at 4ohms and would be loud to compete with two guitarist with tube heads. weight is not an issue. gigs would be in clubs, nothing huge or maasive but at least a decent size club. yes i would be willing to haul 100lb head around, and i have mesa cabs but i dont knwo if i'm keeping them.

BUT, this thread is about what i want or my requirments, i just wanted to know what everyone though. it has nothing to really do with me. i just wanted to see what all tube heads people really liked without giving any guidelines so i wouldnt get the same answers. the only guideline i said was ALL TUBE.

but other then just list heads (all tube of coarse lol) that you really liked had good times with and stuff. your favorite basically.

thanks guys. keep em coming.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There are no production bass tube heads (or power amps) over 400 watts.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    +1 on everything you said, but i'd like to add the Aguilar DB359 as one of the best sounding tube heads on the planet... although not the loudest.

8. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I love the Mesa 400+. I never owned one because I didn't want to carry it, but I've played through them a half dozen times when other people were doing the carrying. Great bottom and the dynamics are wonderful. I wouldn't have called it tight, though, if that's what you're looking for.

9. I have no complains of my Ampeg SVT Classic... but I still haven't tried the new Sadowsky amp...

10. QCS! All the way. Very hard to see the tubes but you know there's a lot of 'em in there cause they're so warm--to the touch at least.

:bag: :help: :cool: :D

11. I've personally only used the SVT classic head, so I don't really have much place to comment here, but I know that Tom would say the SA200, so I'll just chime in for him.

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...well, definetly not "production" but...

...also, your best bet with all tube would be a sealed cabinet design for maxium tone...

~S~

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And when you get into the tube amp realm, you hear talk about "tube watts" - meaning 100 watt tube amp is louder than a SS. All I know is, if you stick your ear right next to a fully cranked 100 watt Marshall Plexi RI - you are heading straight to the hospital.

Skel

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm going to throw in an old Bassman head, as far as tone is concerned. I think Fender really nailed the voicing on this amp.

15. how many watts do you think it would take a SS on 10 to match an all tube head, say 200 watts on 10??

16. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Orange AD200B.

17. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Waaay too many. I'd venture to say 4000. There's no reason a 200w all tube head would ever need to be turned up that loud though.

Tell the guitarist to buy a hot plate if it's the tone they're after. If it's just the sheer volume... :rolleyes:

I used a QSC PLX3002 for a while. My band's guitarist never turned his JCM800 (100w) past 3.

18. i know i know, haha, i've head had to turn my SS swr over 4 or maybe 5 in my band, i just said at max volume vs max volume cus it wouldnt have been as "even" as a comparision.

well i guess that a tube is much much loud then a solid state.

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My favorite was an early 70's SVT; incredible tone and scary loud. I've also liked the Mesa 400+'s I've tried. I'd really like to try a Demeter VTHF-300M.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile