1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is Your Favorite Decade of Music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Helix, Mar 16, 2019.

1. 50's

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. 60's

19 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. 70's

100 vote(s)
    48.1%
  4. 80's

31 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. 90's

35 vote(s)
    16.8%
  6. 00's

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. 10's

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. Carrots

11 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    What is your favorite decade of music?

Personally I love them all, but if I had to pick it would be the 70's stuff. Zeppelin was my all time favorite band then and still is now. Black Sabbath, Yes even bands like ELO and Fleetwood Mac were and are still some of my favorite bands also.

How about you guys?

Wicked G likes this.
  2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Hard to decide. Lots of great music in the 70's for sure.

But I loved the creative spirit in the 1960's. I also loved the alternative music of the 1980's. I can't decide which one. And I'm not going to choose the 70's as some kind of "average" between them.

Okay, I'll choose the 1980's just because there was so much music then.

filmtex and Helix like this.
  3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Hard to say.
    I am always listening to stuff that is happening now. I don't get stuck in a hole and am always looking for new stuff. A lot of what is on my playlists is 10-15 years old at most.
    However, if I had to make a play list of music that wouldn't immediately drive everyone away, it would be 90s music. There was a lot of listenable rock on the radio through out the 90s. It was before things got too extreme or totally electric dance music, rap, etc.
    Starting in the 2000s the music I like became increasingly eclectic and hard for normies to listen to.
    I like some 80s pop, and of course 80s metal.
    The only thing I like from the 70s is Black Sabbath and Jaco's self titled release. Maybe some Stanley Clarke.
    Nothing from the 60s or 50s. Maybe some big band from the 40s.

Helix likes this.
  4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Have to say 60's and 70's because of the constant innovation and groundbreaking advances musically, the 80's seemed more technology intensive .

Helix likes this.
  5. MynameisMe

MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    North Florida
    70's. Was a magic time for me.

sabre79, The Owl and Helix like this.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It’s difficult to pick a decade. 60’s and/or 70’s for me...just because music was still very indigenous by region and styles. It started to severely monetize towards the end of the 70’s and get a bit too refined.

Helix likes this.
  7. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    True that.....I also think the 80's was kind of a turning point in popular music. It kind of seemed like synthesizers were becoming more popular and lead guitar solos were kind of dying out......maybe not, but it kinda seemed that way
    Even Eddie VH started playing keyboards

8. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    I could never pin it down to a particular decade.

Helix likes this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I don't really think of keyboards in the 80's. Because so many alternative bands were going back to basic electric guitar sounds of the mid 60's. And some of that crept into the top 40 on occasion.

But I wasn't really listening to the more popular music of the 80's...at least not at the time. But I have grown to love even the popular music, the hair bands, Madonna, etc, in the years since then. Stuff I couldn't really stand back then. So I really do love the 80's so much now for all of it.

Helix likes this.
  10. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    But I also really love the 70's because I listened to the radio then and the top 40 was better. Fleetwood Mac, etc. Lots of good pop music. Disco and blue-eyed soul. KC and Sunshine Band. Led Zeppelin (which I was listening to in the 80's). Bee Gees. Etc.

BassGH and MynameisMe like this.
  11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 70's when I was a student musician and in a funk band. And the 90's after I got out of the Army and was going to clubs again

12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I was a young'un in the '70s listening to a hand-me-down transistor radio, and that period shaped my musical world. Yesterday, I heard an oldies station (Old? Who? You mean ME?!?) play War's "Why Can't We Be Friends?" (1975) and it instantly took me back to a better, simpler time.

srayb, ElectroVibe and MynameisMe like this.
  13. 90s and 00s for me. Occasionally I’ll listen to older 70s stuff or newer 2010s stuff. Yesterday I listened to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon in its entirety. But I really got into popular music with grunge and alternative rock in the 90s and was also a big nu Metal fan(still the only type of “metal” where bass got any respect and I like how those bands pulled each other up instead of the crabs in a bucket mentality that we have these days. For example Korn helped a lot of bands get signed, even started their own label, one of the bands they helped was limp
    Bizkit who in turn helped bands like Cold and Staind get signed. These days it’s all crabs in a bucket dragging each other back down instead of lifting each other up. It’s sad.

I’d say the 80s was my least favorite decade of music. Never really got into the hair metal or new wave stuff that seemed very popular during the 80s. Sure there were some good songs here and there but outside of early Metallica, I never came across a full album that I liked and the 80s was way too much about image/gimmicks for me. Not to mention I think gated reverb on drums is about as cheesy as glitchy auto tuned vocals vocals are in today’s pop and hip hop

14. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    80s and 90s.

15. Unfortunately, music ended in 1973 when Glover and Gillan left Deep Purple. Everything since then has been a hollow mockery.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    why start in the 50's ?
    Why start in the 20the century?
    I think most of the best music is much older than that.
    Compared to a lot of classical music, most 'popular music' sounds quite silly to me.

ak56 and Helix like this.
  17. The 60 s for me. It started out rockin' the girl groups. There were also some really cool instrumental groups putting out some really good stuff. Then , around '64 . the British invasion hit while at the same time the Soul revolution was taking place. Awesome music from both camps. This was also the era that I cut my musical teeth so to speak. Starting in '65 , I was in groups that played music from all of these genres. Some time in the early 70 s , I was introduced to John Prine. I have been playing his stuff ever since. I still do a lot of his songs when I'm doing solo acoustical stuff and my current blues band is doing a lot of the soul stuff from the 60 s.
    For the record , although they were an incredibly talented vocal group , I just never cared much for the Beach Boys.

18. My favorite decade to study (as though in a history class) was the 1960's because of all the political upheaval and counter-culture stuff, and how music and pop culture reflected all of the chaos. Rockabilly was ending, British Invasion was starting, Jimi played Woodstock, Johnny played Folsom, and so many more iconic moments in music.

19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I love early and mid 90’s rap as much as I love rock, funk and soul from the 60’s/70’s. Heck, there’s stuff made in the 00’s+ that I’d also consider “favorite” and I’m only now rediscovering the 80’s after spending much of my life really not enjoying much music from that era. Carrots.

GregC and Helix like this.
  20. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    Either 60s or 70s, god, thats a tough decision.

The Mogpipe likes this.