what is your favorite G&L bass?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by superbassman2000, Mar 3, 2006.

1. just to get some talk going on this forum, i present my favorite G&L bass, the L2500 in one of the coolest colors you can paint a bass :)

Discuss :D
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    My current fave is the L-1500, and I just ordered one yesterday: Electric Blue; matching headstock; maple fretboard. Should have it in 8-10 weeks. :D

I also love the L-2000, and trying one turned me on to G&L in general. But the L-1500 has a raw, hard-hitting tone the L-2000 can't duplicate because of different pickup placement. It's sort of like a tighter version of a P-bass with Quarter Pounder, but with more growl. It's closer to a Stingray I guess, but nastier. It's also very flexible for a single pickup bass, and a perfect upgrade from a P-bass in that respect. The pre is kind of noisy, but apparently mods are available to address that, and I'll probably use it passive most of the time anyway.

If it works for me, an L-2000 or 2500 won't be far behind.
  3. My favorite G&L is MY G&L. It is a sick fretless JB-2. I'll post pics soon - once the sun comes up nicely and I can take some well-lit photos

Edit: Here's a pic:
  4. my favourite is my 1986 Leo era maple board SB1. it is so simple to get that sound without any fiddlilng around.
  5. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I'm a G&L player from way back. Bought my L2000 in '86. It's one of the best basses I've ever played. http://imageshack.us][​IMG][/URL]
  6. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Well, my current fave is my 2004 L2k which I custom ordered. My next one will, hopefully, look like this!

Note: this is a seriously and poorly photoshopped image, but I like it!
  7. I saw that in Rudys in Manhattan last month. Only it had a rosewood fretboard. I think either way its a killer looking bass. The matching head stock makes it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Semi Hollow ASAT Bass , I should have mine in another few weeks:hyper: .
  9. My two favourites would have to be either an L-2000 or Semi-hollow ASAT, one piece maple neck, unpainted headstock, in a thin white or cream finish.

The one I own is almost my dream, except it's cherryburst....alwell it grows on me every day.
  10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

In the 4 banger department I rotate faves about every month or so. In and out of...
    ASAT semi

My fave fiver G&L is definitely this L-5500. It simply smokes.

Attached Files:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Blueburst Rocks ! Charlie are you thinking of getting one?
  12. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks, man. Yeah, as soon as I off my Rick, I'm putting some money down on a custom like that.

BTW, what is it about bass players and Staten Island? I've seen several Staten Island locations both here and the dudepit. Is there something I don't know about there? :D
  13. Found this un at the recent Spartanburg SC Gtr Show.
    It was the only G&L bass at the show.
    Neck does not have a seperate fingerboard.
    Haven't changed strings yet to check the mfg dates.
    My third ASAT.

14. First ASAT. What a way to start a collection.

15. capt.john

Sep 21, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I thought that my 1982 'hog/rosewood was the best L-1000 I had ever played (been gigging it since 1985), but I stand corrected...my recent acquisition of an outstanding 1980 'hog/maple L-1000 has shot up to the top of that very short list. It has a unique look and feel with a killer sound unmatched by ANY passive bass I have ever play, and that's a whole bunch over 42-years of gigging.

Attached Files:

16. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Normally I'd say it was a no-brainer; the ASAT is my fav. I have the old black with silver bowlingball swirl in it. My only regreat is that I couldn't get it with birdseye maple neck and board back in the late 90s when I ordered it. Still, the rosewood plays and looks classy. However I must admit, Pepperman's white L1500 has me thinking impure thoughts!

17. This is a no-brainer. L-2000 hands down.
  18. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I keep flip flopping between my L2500 and L2000. Right now its the 2500. I'm sure next month I'll be back to the 2000.
  19. Which G&L bass is my favorite? Well, it has to be the 1985 Mahogany L-2000 that arrived via UPS yesterday. This puppy seriously rocks!

I haven't gotten to take pictures yet, but here's some that were taken by Andy who I got it from.

'85 'Hog L2K pics

It is really a nice bass, and when you hit the "Oh My Friggin' God" switch, watch out!