Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your favorite Iron Maiden Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Hollow, Apr 21, 2002.

1. I just discovered how much I like IRON MADEN...
    I found on my house this album of Iron Maiden called "The X Factor" so I began to listen to this album and I just dot impresses with this band...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which is their best album couse I really want to buy more albums from this band....

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Others will disagree with me, but my favorite is Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I also really like Powerslave, Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time.

3. Powerslave, by far, with Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time coming in second only because of the amounts of filler on them ("Deja Vu"? "Quest for Fire"?)

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You don't call "Flash of the blade" or "The Duellists" filler material, Peter?

I like Seventh Son the best also, followed by Powerslave, Killers and The Number Of The Beast. I actually think The X Factor is one of their worst. The first 3 tracks are good stuff, though.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Whoa. I was going to ask you what you think of Virtual XI, but I don't have the guts to do it. :D

6. Number Of The Beast was my favorite, followed by Piece Of Mind.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I always liked pretty much everything from the first album up until Seventh Son. I stopped listening when Adrian Smith left. Janick always struck me as a bit of a noodly-noodly player, and I couldn't really get into him. And, then, Bruce left, and well....

Recently, I've been listening to a lot of the Paul Dianno albums, and digging them a great deal. It's interesting to follow Killers with Seventh Son to see how different they really are. But, I like them both for different reasons. Of course, you can always find something interesting in Harry's playing.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Live After Death, the vinyl version

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not a big fan of Blaze Bayley, eh?

I haven't heard Brave new world yet, other than the sound samples on the IM website.

Anybody tell me how it measures up to the pre Fear of the dark stuff?

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Killers! Piece of mind is a close second!

11. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    My favorites (at the moment) are Piece Of Mind and X-Factor. Seriously. I like Blaze Bayley's voice and I like the feel of the X-Factor songwriting. Ok, the intros are all the same, but aside from that it's great stuff.
    BTW, I also have all the B L A Z E albums (all 2) and I have been to my second B L A Z E concert a couple of weeks ago. It is amazing to see Blaze's stage acting, that guy's surely got a lot of energy.
    It's a little strange though that he had to read the lyrics for "Virus" of a piece of paper. Also, it looked like he swallowed some pills during an instrumental.

EDIT: Oh, and the Rock in Rio reflection thingy cover must be THE coolest cd cover ever. It's really well done.
    Stuff like that keeps people from downloading songs instead of buying the CDs. Well, at least me.:cool:

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Easily Powerslave.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I really liked the X Factor, it was just an abrupt departure from the usual Maiden stuff. Sign of the Cross is probably my favortie Maiden song. I also really liked Number of the Beast and Seventh Son. No Prayer For The Dying is easily their worst, IMO. I like Live at Donnington, Live After Death, and Rock In Rio too.

14. I'd probably say Seventh Son of a Seventh Son with the first Maiden album coming a close second. I've always had a soft spot for that first one - I was a fan from the start.

I do really dig Virtual XI a lot though - there are some really great songs on it esp. 'Clansman'. I quite like Blaze on that one - it's definitely stronger singing than X Factor.

Still, IMO Seventh Son wins all around. There's not a bad tune on it. Although Powerslave has some classic tracks, it does also contain a fair amount of 'filler' compared to many albums IMO.

15. DiegoMcgee

DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    Piece of Mind, I also dig Killers.
    They also had a single with a
    cover of Tull's "Cross eyed Mary"
    on the B-side. It may have been
    Aces High. Does anyone know
    if this is correct. They do a great
    verion.
    Live after death is my one of my favorite live
    albums of all time

vote Jackie O (my wife) best vox in our
    local music mag
    http://bmp.thephoenix.com/providence.html

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I like them all up until(and including) Somewhere in Time. After that I lost interest in them.

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"Fear of the Dark" would be my favorite. For some reason I liked every song, rare in any album by anyone. I also am very fond of "666--The Number of the Beast".

18. early stuff -

Number of the Beast (the grunt of Run to the Hills!!)
    and Piece of Mind (the TROOPER!!!)

Killers was great too.

Pat

19. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I still think that Somewhere in Time has the best production but the best songs are on Piece of Mind.

20. LunarDave

LunarDave

Feb 5, 2002
    Leeds, UK
    Cross Eyed Mary was on the B-side of The Trooper and I agree it is a great version.

Seventh Son gets my vote for favourite Album, followed by Live After Death and then Number of The Beast.