what is your favorite larry grenadier recording?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by drfrink, Sep 30, 2004.

1. drfrink

Sep 8, 2004
    what a great musician! i need to buy some more of his albums. suggestions? (i'm only familiar with the mehldau trio recordings) thanks
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I like him on that live trio CD with Pat Metheny, though he's a bit low in the mix IMHO. He's a great player. This trio also features drummer Bill Stewart absolutely raging throughout.

The Mehldau discs are my favorites so far.
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    For a different context, check out M.T.B. "Consenting Adults" on the Criss Cross label with Mark Turner, Peter Bernstein, Mehldau, and Leon Parker.

Really good recording and Larry G. sounds great.

4. D.W.

D.W. Guest

Another good album, although quite old now, is Mark Turner's Yam, Yam (around the same time as MTB). I also like Seamus Blake's albums; The Call, Four Track Mind and Stranger things have happened.....all with Larry Grenadier. A newer album is "Sangha Quartet (Kevin Hays/Seamus Blake/Bill Stewart/Larry) "fear of Roaming". As you can tell I'm a bit of a Larry Grenadier junkie!

5. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I've not heard it, but I've read rave reviews of the recent Stan Sulzman album (Jigsaw) with Grenadier, Bill Strwart and Marc Copland. I've just seen a gig from the album's tpour, but the bassist for the tour was Drew Gress - one of the best gigs I've ever been to! amazing band...
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That sounds like a good one - I'll have to watch out for that.
    I really like Stan Sulzmann's playing/tunes - I spent a week with him as my tutor at Jazz Summerschool, the year before last - very nice guy with loads of funny stories and great experience. He gave me loads of tips about playing and I'll alway remember him putting his arm around my shoulder, telling me not to take it personally and taking me for coffee after a particularly intense session!! :)
  7. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    The one I like is Larry Vuckovich's "Blues for Red." Hot House
    Records. UK import LP. Don't know if it's available on CD.
    Features: Dusko Goykovich-trpt, Charles McPherson- alto sax,
    Larry Vuckovich -piano, & Eddie Marshall- drums.
    Larry is young -18.
    Recorded in 1984 and he's a monster already. and with great
    people. Straight ahead with a few standards- Stella, Lush Life,
    and You Don't Know What Love Is.
  8. Where did you see the gig O? I went to Ambleside. Drew Gress in combination with Mark copland and Jochim whatsit where absolutely the best - I was stunned - this is interactive trio playing at its highest - not to mention the fourth man Stan.
  9. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I saw them in Sheffield... stunning, one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Drew Gress especially, and Marc Copland and San Sulzman too. I have to admit I didn't think the drummer was quite at their incredible level, great player but not as awe-inspiring as the other 3.
    I picked up the album yesterday, its great too. Interesting to compare Larry Grenadier and Drew Gress on the same material, as LG plays quite a bit "straighter", much more walking than DG, which gives the whole album a much more swinging, relaxed feel than the gig.
    But Drew Gress live, wow, defiantely the most incredible live bass playing I've witnessed.... His use of 3 note chords blew me away, never heard anyone sound so natural and relaxed playing such ridiculous shapes...
  10. Bruce Lindfield

As a slight digression on great bassists to fellow UK'ers - I hear that Jan Garbarek is bringing Eberhard Weber on his UK tour next month - should be worth looking out for ...? :)
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Really?! I haven't seen him since the 70's, when he had that great band with Charlie Mariano. I wonder what type of bass he's using these days.
  12. edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Check out Ed Simon's self titled solo cd w/ Mark Turner, Adam Cruz and Grenadier.. amazing
  13. Bruce Lindfield

I bought this album on Saturday - only had the chance to listen to it once, but I do like what I heard - great sound and nice original tunes - I loved Stan's soprano on Figurine....:)
  14. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I haven't listened much to the Mehldau recordings, and I'm a slab player so maybe my opinion doesn't count, but I've got his new Fly trio disc and am just lovin it. In fact, I didn't know who he was prior to that disc and enjoyed his playing so much that it prompted to find out more about him and his recordings. How I wish I could play DB. :crying: