What is your favorite Rush album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by danqi, Feb 22, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I for my part am just about to get into this band. I first bought and really liked Fly by Night. I also bought Power Windows but I am pretty disappointed with it. It just sounds much too 80s pop like for my tastes.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    All of 'em!

"Rush" through "Test for Echo"! There's great music on every one!:D
  3. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Permanent Waves!!!
    Moving Pictures!!!
    Grace Under Pressure!!

Those are all pretty great, imo. PW wasn't one of my faves either. Too glassy sounding. Speaking of glassy sounding, stay away from Roll the Bones too. Yuck. (I can't believe I said that!!)

4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    No way!!! That was the album that got me into Rush. Bought it on a whim.... The production is very glassy, but some of those songs are great... Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Where's My Thing...

The "rap" in the title track really bites, though... yikes... :eek:
  5. Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    Well, I can't pin it down to any one album, so I'll have to go with

A Farewell to Kings
    Permanent Waves

These all preceded the slick 80's production style. They also contain of Rush's best instrumental music that was too complex and pretentious to receive radio airplay, while being balanced by shorter compositions like "Freewill" and "Closer to the Heart" if you're more into that stuff.
  6. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    While Different Stages got me into Rush, I would have to say that 2112 is my favorite. I once listened to that and ONLY that for a week. :eek:
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Probably A Farewell to Kings, though I like all of them. Sort of general rule though, the older (up until Roll the Bones anyway) are my favorites.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Moving Pictures
  9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'd say the three that struck me the most when I first heard them were:

1) Moving Pictures
    2) Hemispheres
    3) 2112

I probably still play Moving Pictures the most. I'm hopelessly addicted to the sound of Ged's bass on that album.

With Rush, it's not really the 'band' itself that keeps me coming back. I just really enjoy how each of them performs, listening to each member's stylistic approach to a song. I think they have influenced many musicians over the years, and for that, I would like to see them inducted to the R&R Hall of Fame someday. Not going to hold my breath on that one, but I think they deserve it.

As far as some of their synth laden music in the 80's, I think that was more of a product of what was going on with music at the time back then. Synth was all the rage, and many bands overused keyboards back then. I agree that some of their material in the latter half of the 80's is hard to stomach though.
  11. i have recently "rediscovered" caress of steel. i also love all the worlds a stage.. what a raw, ripping album. nothing like the later tepid offerings from this once great band....
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The first album!
    I know it was with John Rutsy on drums but the feel and groove on that album has never been matched by any other Rush album!
    Just my honest opinion! Plus it was the only album he used a Pbass...Great stuff!
    Don't get me wrong I love every RUSH album but the first is my fav!!!
  13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like the first album, but to me it doesn't compare to the later albums. It is like a completely different band, one that was trying to find their voice, but hadn't found it yet. With the addition of Neil Peart and their move toward more progressive music, I think the albums starting with 2112 were the best (until the late eighties inferior albums).
  14. I agree with most of the albums listed above. the problem with favorite rush albums is it's like naming favorite children, you may have some, but you really can't tell the world about it, ya know. LONG LIVE RUSH!!!!!!!!!! btw, anybody have a release date for the new album yet?
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There hasn't been an official announcement. I've heard dates ranging from March 5 through the last Tuesday in May.

I've also heard some not-so-concrete talk that Rush may begin their North American tour as early as June.
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    They are all cool. I like Hold Your Fire a lot... I like Hemishperes, power windows, even Caress of Steel has a few shining moments.

*I think I'm going bald* LOL

The first Rush is a different band for sure... but way cool! I think it's funny how much Zep influence shows in the first album... and then it's like turned off by 2112.
  17. RUSH was originally touted as a led zeppelin jr. type band. your right on gabu, they found their own sound and never turned back.
  18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Exit Stage Left
    Caress Of Steel
    Fly By Night
  19. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    My vote goes to "Moving Pictures", followed pretty closely by "Signals".

I always loved both "Limelight" and "Subdivisions".
  20. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Absolutlely Show! that's why I like it so much, It was Raw & Pure. I think the first album was pure emotion and groove!!
    Rutsy was a great drummer!
    As I said just my opinion.
    I just love
    What your doing
    Take yourself a friend
    Finding My Way
    That was some great songwriting for the early 70's

Yes I love the latter albums! I definitly think they went in the right direction and every album they have written has been huge! (Have them all)
    I think that my favorite Peart album would have to be A Farewell to Kings. Great RIC tone!!!!