1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your Favorite Solid State Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThumbyAche, Nov 11, 2006.

Favorite Solid State Bass Head

Poll closed Jan 10, 2007.
  1. Euphonic Audio

17 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Thunderfunk

30 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Epifani

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Glockenklang

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Gallien-Krueger

50 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. other

57 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Let's talk about it, Euphonic Audio, Thunderfunk, Epifani, Markbass, GK, Glock, Other... Mine is EA but only heard Epifani, Glock and GK (in person)to compare it to.

2. You are going to find very few players who have actually played all of those heads and who can give you an actual comparison. I've owned all except the Epifani. From my experience, I prefer the Thunderfunk to all of the above by a very wide margin, when all things (size/tone/weight/price/power/build quality) are taken into account.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't heard the Glock but have played/owned all the others you mentioned. I just love the TF for it's plug and play capabilities, and the fact that it sounds great through any cab I plug it into.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Curious, is your preference for EA IAmp over Glock based on tone or weight?

What cabs were the two heads driving?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dig epifani, havent heard a glock but would like to. Thunderfunk sounds good too.

6. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I chose EA mostly because of the sound. However, in all fairness, I was comparing to a previous experience with a Glock/Eden combination. Probably not a fair comparison to EA/Bergantino. I just like my combination of the I-AMP 800 with the Berg HT-322 cab. I have two EA cabs and love those with the IAMP too!

7. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I should have listed Aguilar, EBS and Markbass in the poll. If you are voting for "other", what are they and what have you compared them to?

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    I picked GK. I love that clean, bright GK tone, plus even modestly powered GK amps can get really freaking loud.

9. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Yah, GK's are a really good plug in and play kind of amp. I've have used many GK products over the years. One of the coolest bass sounds I've heard lately though is my Nash P-Bass through my I-AMP 800 with a Berg HT-322.....DANG! I'm not even a P-Bass guy really but WOW.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I haven't played through a lot of these but really think the Carvin B1500 is worthy of consideration ... just pretend it costs a lot more, if that helps ; }

11. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i havnt played a Glock TF but out of the ones you listed i really like the Epi.

i would love to try a TF and a Glock, i guess i will get round to trying one of them some day

Dave

12. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    totally valid, good tone is good tone...pocket that money and buy some gorilla snot for our picks... :smug:

13. i'm a big fan or Mesa/Boogie and Aguilar. Both have awesome rock tones, as well as nice warm fat tones, at least to me. If i ever went back so SS amps i would get a Mesa or Aguilar.

14. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Not much love thus far for EA, anybody know why? Is it $$ or nobody has tried them or problems...What?

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I voted for Glock, but you left out Walter Woods.

16. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i tried the both of the higher rated models (cant remember the exacy wattage though) and i liked them quite a bit but when it came down to it i preffered the Epi UL 502

Dave

17. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    oh man, and not fair to put WW in "other"...good call munji. Can't change the poll either..
    Man if this was a race, EA would be at the pit stop..come guy's EA love..

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Well my iamp 800 should be here soon (to play through my NL210 cab) so i'll tell you if i have EA love later lol.

I've played through Eden, GK, and Epifani and prefer the Epi to all of them. I'm going to wait to cast my vote until i play through the 800 though.

19. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I went with a Genz-Benz GBE 400 over Eden.
    It sounds good and is built solidly.

20. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Trouble is most mere mortals can't afford a Walter Woods. WW are in a league of their own.