Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your favorite song to play or hear live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 6, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm in a cover band, I was just wondering if you play in a band what song is your favorite to play? If your not in a band what would be your favorite to hear a cover band play? Mine is War Pigs because Geezer is fun and challenging to play.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Reza.

problem is I have only performed it once, and I don't have that ensemble anymore.

3. Mine is "Ruby Soho," because it is lots of fun to play.:)

4. i forgot to say it is by rancid

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaco pastorius.

www.xaqtly.com/reza.mp3 is the recording of the only time I performed it live, but it's still one of my favorite songs, and I really hope to do it again with another group sometime.

6. Sober-Tool.

Just a great song. And my drummer loves to play it.

7. The Ocean by Zep... Just makes me wanna do the pidgeon head. Anything by Zep for that matter.

Aeroplane by RHC is always a fun one too.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sober-Tool.

Just a great song. And my drummer loves to play it.

That song jams live! Just too many bands in my area already do it.

9. I like playing Railway by Dispatch, Manic Depression by Jimi Hendrix Experience, and Bell Bottom Blues by Derek and the Dominos.

10. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    audioslave, like a stone. it's the first cover my band learned to play, and it's still my favorite. really simple song, but fun!

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    audioslave, like a stone. it's the first cover my band learned to play, and it's still my favorite. really simple song, but fun!

We play that one too, lot of fun, do you kick on the phazer and/or distortion during the chorus and solo? Try learning "Show me how to live", that ones a little funkier.

12. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Another vote here for the ocean. Fun song.

"Thank You" by Sly is super fun, cause everyone is ALWAYS dancing for that, and we usually extend it quite a bit. Great, simple, awesome groove...

I have a feeling my new favorite is gonna be "Give it away" by RHCP. I think we are gonna play that out for the first time tomorrow night. I can't wait. Such a fun song to play. Hardest part is to not dance around so wildly that I get sloppy. I cannot play that song without moving in funny ways.

13. I'm having a good time lately playing "Freewill" by Rush with my band. That's one of those songs that I always thought I'd never be able to nail, and it's still a bit hairy in that middle section sometimes, but fun as hell. I always experience much merriment doing Rush covers.

14. Dude, We are so on the same page.
    We play "Thank You" and it never fails to get the girls dancing. It's so simple and so fun to play.
    We love to break it down in the middle.
    Peace

15. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Right on Man. Maybe you are my long lost brother from another mother??

Thank You is always our closer, and we let everyone know, so man, woman, child, and other are out there shakin'. We usually stretch it to a 10 minute jam. Gotta love it!!!

16. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    that's cool! i wish i had the effects to do it, ( wish my guitarist did too). he used a digital amp the first time we played it, but that led to disaster in the solo, he had to hit the peedal every 3 seconds to get back to the right effect, it kept going clean.and i've been learning that whole album, deffinetly one of my favorites. does your guitarist get the sound, especially for the solo? if so, think you could tell me what he uses for it? thanks

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Born to be Wild.

All 15 mins of it.

18. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "Whippin' Post"

Zappa did a fantastic straight cover of it live.