Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your favorite venue to play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by leftundone, Mar 31, 2003.

1. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm biased towards St. Louis because that's my hometown. There a renovated theater on Delmar Blvd, The Pageant, that I hope to book into again.

It's has a wonderful balance between a "club" and a "concert hall".....check out the sound system and lighting spec's; it has all the fills I ever wanted; it was good enough for Jeff Beck -

http://www.thepageant.com/pageant.html#AUDIO

Here's how the lighting works out -

[​IMG]

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There are alot of venues that I'd LIKE to play, but of the ones that I've actually played, my faves were The Viper Room (LA), The Glass House (Pamona, Ca.), The Tabernacle, The Civic Center, Variety Playhouse, and Smith's Olde Bar (all in Atlanta), The 40 Watts Club (Athens, Ga.), The Baseball Stadium (Miami), and a place we played in Tampa. A House Of Blues type of spot.

4. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Donne,
    That looks like Tinly Park, very cool venue. Mine would be The Filmore in San Francisco, best part about it that our poster will always be there next to greats.

http://www.mp3.com/leftundone

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    House of Blues (Chicago and LA venues)

9:30 club (DC)

CBGB (NYC)

Horseshoe(Toronto)

All are fun to play. Hard to say what is best, but I think the 9:30 might be the best in the country as far as staff, club upkeep and treatment of artists.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My favorite stages so far were an open air stage in Fairfax, CA where I played at a world music festival. Maybe it's just because it was such a nice day. I also like the space in a place called The Last Day Saloon in San Francisco.

I have played the lounge at the FIllmore three times and are slated to play there again in april. I'm jonesin' to play on the main stage (the whole band is, actually), so I think that it's my current favorite, although I haven't played there yet.

7. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard nothing, but good things about the 9:30 Club. I'm good friends with bands that have recorded a live CD there. O.A.R.'s double live CD came out great.

Sean

8. The Filmore Rocks!!!

Cute Waitresses.
    Food & Drinks delivered. (Beer & Nachos, please).
    My favorite club venue.
    #2... the Roxie.

BTW: the stadium is the Concord Pavillion.

9. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    The 9:30 club is kinda big to my local scene, like playing there means your doing good. I know bands like MxPx and (blah) Good Charlotte have played there. Anyway, for right now, I think that actually playing at this high school with a rented sound system was my favorite place to play.

10. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I wanted to play the Roxie or Wiskey when I was on tour in LA, but we played the House of Blues instead. No complaints for the HOB. They treated us like Kings. Dressing rooms was good. Fridge was stocked, the help was great & they cooked us some good grub.

Sean

11. rickbass

So......you guys are inadverdently bringing up one of the dilemmas that has always followed my bands....

- Do you like "seating" or "no seating"???

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    One with a grand piano (that's in tune).

13. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Rick,
    That's a great question. I've had some great show where people would just sit & watch. I think the audience is more observant of the music & what you're doing on stage when they aren't up dancing. But my favorite shows are honestly the ones when the crowd is going crazy.

Sean http://www.mp3.com/leftundone

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Never played the 9:30. I did play Hammerjacks Concert Hall in Balmer a couple times back in the late 80's early 90's, that was fun.

9:30 is my fave place to see a band. That said, I don't mind standing all night. Two bandmates (the older guys, both pushing 50) saw James Brown there and didn't like having to stand all night.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I love playing in huge arenas in front of thousands.

I'm always so disappointed when I wake up and realize it was all a dream. :D

Anywhere with good sound!

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The 2 nicest big stages I had the pleasure of performing on were the Second Chance(Nectarine Ballroom), and St. Andrews Hall. Both had great (not too boomy) stages, and good sound systems.

It's been only local pubs lately. The "House of ShamRocks" in Hazel Park(the have The Best looking Waitress staff! The Best!) "Paychecks" in Hamtramck. There are others, but I can't think of them now.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    H.O.B. Chicago was fun. they definitely treat you well there!

Luther's Blues is my favorite place to play in madison.

don't know what my favorite place to play is though...i have a good time just about anywhere.

18. Hmmm... toss up.

One would be when we play on a cruise ship from The Coeur d' Alene Resort. Two boats, tied together side by side, two bands, about 600 crazy party people. 3 hours on the water, fun as hell.

The other would be at Sunbanks Resort by Grand Coulee Dam. It's a campground with a huge covered stage, and the audience is a bunch of families - moms, dads, sisters, brothers, teenagers, etc. They absolutely love to hear live music together and they really show their appreciation.

Look fwd to both gigs again this summer:D .

19. rickbass

I'd agree with your view 100%, Sean.

It's like, in my main band, we can't have it both ways. I can recall a couple of times when seating was set-up and our lead vocalist would tell the seated crowd from the outset, "Don't get too comfortable because we aim to have everybodys' ass out on the floor before the night is over."

Then the manager/owner/promoter is all P.O.'d because their insurance for any damages/liability stipulated a "seated audience."

One great thing about the theater I mentioned is that anyone who wants to sit for the evening can go to the balcony section and the booty shakers have the entire floor.

There's a place in Oklahoma City, The Diamond Ballroom, where the 7500 sq. ft. dance floor is all maple, just like a basketball court. You get about 1200 people out there and you have to really crank the sound system just to try and compete with the "thundering herd" on that dance floor!