1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your favorite wood for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexis=bassist, Sep 23, 2008.

1. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    Hey everybody!

I wanna know your favorite woods for a bass,or your favorite looking wood!What do yall think is beautiful!Show pictures of your favorite bass with your favorite wood!

also...

let me just say that I feel like I have gotten of to a bad start here.I respect everyone here!:smug:

So if I have offended anyone or made anyone mad,I apologize.:)

-peace:smug:

2. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    For the body I like Ash or Swamp Ash. For the top I really love Spalted Maple... Specially the ones I see on Sadowsky's - like 4A or 5A Spalt that has Flaming going on as well. For the neck, you can't go wrong with Maple. For the Fretboard, I really like the tone of Rosewood but like the look of Maple or Ebony better.

3. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    These are my favourites:

Flamed Maple Top, Mahogany Body, 5-Piece Maple/Walnut Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Transparent Black Finish:

[​IMG]

Figured Walnut Top, Alder Body, Graphite Neck, Phenolic Fretboard, Transparent Clear Finish:

[​IMG]

Figured Maple Top, Alder Body, Graphite Neck, Phenolic Fretboard, Blackstone Finish:
    [​IMG]

4. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Mahogany with a maple top just plain sings, but if you want a bit of a brighter sound ash is the way to go. That said I generally prefer mahogany. I like some of the exotic woods too, but I'm too cheap to get something with those.

5. For a body wood I like swamp ash for it's punch. As for a top wood, I tend to like quilted maple but I'm starting to like flamed red wood ever since I saw this bass.

valentiJ4009.

I also like transparent ash bodies like on my Valenti J5.

CIMG0483.

As for necks and fretboards, maple for both unless it's fretless and then I'll would go for ebony.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Ash and Mahogany are my two favorites.

7. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    For straight-up, solidbodied basses I like good old ash (or swamp ash.)

Hollowbodies I might go a little different.

Solidbodied electric g****rs, I also like ash, but mahogany is also nice. I've played some Gibby korinas that really sing, and that is a beautiful wood as well. I'd dig on a korina bass.

For acoustics, I like hog and spruce or rosewood and spruce.

8. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Believe it or not, Red Oak is up there on my list. I have 2 basses with Red Oak laminated bodies. They sound awesome. It's not figured wood, has a grain similar to ash, but it's something different.

Here they are;

Scarab2-1.

Scroll12.

9. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I love the purple heart that you can see alot of in Alembic basses it is awsome...

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    Mahogany. IME, it produces warmer and more even-sounding basses, which I like.

11. Those are beautiful! How heavy are they made of Oak?

12. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Thank You

The top one is about the same weight as my T-40, the bottom one is a bit lighter. I never actually weighed them though.

13. I have some slabs of Bigleaf Maple off my property - I wonder what that would look like? Isn't Quilted Maple sawn at a certain angle relative to grain?

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Sound-wise I love swamp ash or plain ash (my Sadowskys and Fenders) and Mahogany (my 30th SR).

Look-wise, a cool flamed maple (a la PRS guitars) sure is purdy!

15. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    can i hear an Alder?

16. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    Swamp ash, Mahogany or butternut for bodies. Wenge/Purple Heart neck with Wenge, Rosewood, bloodwood or ebony fingerboard.

17. Yes, I think you can. :)
    Me, I like swamp ash bodies w/some kind of top that looks as if someone(not Fassa;))threw up on it & wenge necks.

18. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Ash for me :cool:

19. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    For straight up, solid tone, alder is pretty hard to beat.

But, for looks, it hard to beat a nice piece of ash. And I think the guys at F-bass do ash best.

[​IMG]

20. AnalogPackrat

AnalogPackrat

May 20, 2008
    CA
    A lot of figured maple from the US is bigleaf maple from the west coast--especially wide pieces. Apparently it is more prone to producing figure than the eastern species. Of course it is also much softer and lighter than, say, sugar maple which is used for necks. Bigleaf has a slight pinkish color when compared with eastern maples which tend more toward yellow.

Curly and fiddleback figures show up when the wood is quartersawn. Not sure about birdseye (which may be more common in the hard eastern species). I have a fair bit of bigleaf on my property as well. When we bought the place I cut up a downed maple that was about 16" max diameter for firewood. It had been down for a year or more and wasn't usable for anything else, which is unfortunate because some pieces I split had nice curly figure in them. Most of what I've seen since is straight grained.

A P