1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is your favourite James Jamerson bass line??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by juanete, May 13, 2006.

1. juanete

juanete

May 15, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    too many GREAT bass lines:bassist: , but which one is your favourite??

2. juanete

juanete

May 15, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    `:rollno:

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Hard to say.
    I love the line from "What's Goin' On?", it's definitely the one that's foremost in my mind, but that's partly because I like the song and the story behind Jamerson playing that line. I haven't done enough careful listening to his repetoire to decide objectively what my favorite is. I do have Standing In The Shadows, though...I should ****ing learn it already! :ninja:

4. Bernadette... although apparently Carol Kaye has taken credit for it, so I'm not sure who's it really is. :help:

5. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Carol Kaye took credit for it? What!?!?

6. Who plays on Stevie Wonder's "I was made to love her?"

If it's Jamerson, that's my favorite.

7. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    trying to find a favorite jamerson bassline is like watching the miss america pageant trying to figure out which one's the prettiest....

what's going on and what's happening brother are the ones he's really playing his butt off on, but if you put a gun to a head and made me pick one, it would be "I Was Made to Love Her" (stevie wonder)

it's really a shame so few people play like him anymore.

8. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    It's definitely Jamerson playing. As far as whether Jamerson or Carol Kaye wrote the line, I cannot say. Something tells me that Carol may have partaken in an earlier version of the song or wrote a slightly different line that Jamerson tweaked.

I don't know the whole story, all I know is it's a monster line :-D

9. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    "I was made to Love her" is jamerson

My fav is Grapevine - Gladys Knight version

fleabitten, bucephylus and dtripoli like this.
  10. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Wow!
    it's hard to pick a favorite
    here's a couple dance tunes we do!

>sugar pie honey bunch

>the same old song

there's so many i don't know where to start!

cheers

11. Hola,
    Since I have to state, Mr. Jamerson has been my Bass mentor for the last 28yrs. It's really hard to pick.... BUT, It has to be,
    "I'm gonna make you love me", Temps & Supremes!

Bobbo 77'

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I simply cannot pick just one favorite - it's impossible. Here are my top three:

* You Keep Me Hanging On - The Supremes
    * I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
    * Bernadette - The Four Tops

Even now, some 40 years after I first heard these as a kid, I still get chills up my spine as I contemplate the sheer bodaciousness of the groove... :cool:

Find a way to internalize what it is that makes these lines groove so well...and thou shalt never again lack for soul...

MM

Neo1 likes this.
  13. * I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder

14. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I certainly hope this thread doesn't turn into a who played on what kind of thread., and I have nothing more to say here beyond this post. I certainly don't know the whole story either.

Anyone delving into the history of Motown Records would learn that it was sometimes a practice for more than one bass player to record the same tune. A book called The Motown Music Machine by Harold Keith Taylor I saw and read briefly at Borders makes reference to the fact of and names unrecognized studio musicians who played on Motown hits, especially when Motown did some recordings in LA.

Having studied Carol Kaye's recordings and her teaching materials, having studied with her in person for awhile, knowing she is absolutely a person of integrity who tells the truth as it is, and with an impressive list of 10,000 + recordings, and a credit list like this http://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/index.htm I think it is important to consider that she played on at least some of these tunes. Don't know if they were the ones that hit the market, whether they were written out or invented by the bass player lines, but just would like to give a little credit here. I have my opinions, and I think its easy to tell a Carol Kaye recording from a Jamerson one, but that's already been discussed on TB.

Regardless, we have some great, enduring bass lines here that will inspire people for many, many years and I will always enjoy listening to these Motown tunes.

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    It's a tie between "Reflections" and "You Keep Me Hangin' On".

16. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I vote for "What's Goin' On" their are great lines, but key is just he overall feel and classic Jamerson sense of time.

As for the Carol Kaye thing. I heard her take credit for a number of things, I don't believe she actaully did. I don't think she trying to scam anyone, just that was a very busy time in L.A. and the height of Carol's career. She did a lots of session, I believe she's just confused. You're talking a time when the first call players like Carol would finish a year with hundreds of W2's from sessions. You work that much sessions become a blur.

17. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    "The performance credit that Carol has pursued with the greatest tenacity over the years is the bass part on Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her". Hank Cosby who co-wrote, produced it, and who, in his own words, "was there every step of the way from the writing of the song to the day the 45's were shipped", vehemently denied any participation by Carol Kaye on this recording. Cosby added, "Fifty percent of the song was James Jamerson's bass line. No one played like that but Jamerson." Cosby also signed an affidavit similar to Brian Holland's attesting to Jamerson's performance. "

18. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    "She has my humblest apologies for the few that I may have missed. But when you're talking about "Bernadette", "Reach Out", "Baby Love", "I Was Made to Love Her", "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", "Dancing In the Streets", "Can't Help Myself", Standing In The Shadows of Love", "You Keep Me Hangin' On", and dozens of others . . . Sorry Carol. That magical legacy belongs to someone else."

http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder

20. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    If let's get it on was Jamerson, then that is my favourite Jamerson line. I still don't have confirmation that it was in fact Jamerson playing on that song, or even that album.