Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your highest value for money bass,not looks- construction and components only

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gapupten, Feb 12, 2005.

1. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I just purchased my third Pedulla Series II bass. This one was $399. :D I have a fretless version that I paid around $600 for a few years ago. Not pretty but really put together well with quality components. Pedulla made 480 of these in the late 80's early nineties.
    They cut back on all of the expensive stuff that adds to looks but not much to feel, playability, sound and long term use. I think they stopped making them, because they were pulling sales from their higher priced units.

I tend to like this kind of bargin and was wondering what else you guys have found in the marketplace that's comparable. You know, not mass produced, but value thats forgotten in the marketplace.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Reverend Rumblefish. :smug:

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    petch, i just picked up a fish off of ebay this morning. i have had a couple of good value basses recently. my american made peavey millennium 5 was a great bass. pauo ferro fretboard, hipshot bridge, 18 volt preamp...and i only paid $480 for it (and it was in mint condition too) then i traded that for a G&L sb2 which was a great value at any price and i just sold the sb2 to fund the rumblefish that supposedly has no problems or surface impurities or anything for $449.44 on ebay. i know how to shop. i hope this fish is all its cracked up to be.

4. +2 :bassist:

5. Did you get that black one?

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The three instruments I would put in this class are the Lakland Skylines, Sadowsky Metros and the Pedulla Raptures. All three are available fairly fancy, but all have exceptional components and sound that before they were introduced you had to pay considerably more for. I might add the Fender Marcus Miller fours ( the MIA 5 is pricey) and the Geddy Lees too.

7. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
  8. Congrats on a good snag! I'll look forward to hearing how you like it. You did get a very nice deal, and I think you could easily get more than you paid for it if you decide it's not for you.

9. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I usually buy used, so generally all my basses are good "bang for the buck"! :D

Of my current 4 basses, I'd say the two best value are:

Hamer Cruise 2Tek (street price approx. $500 used, compare to boutique jazz basses!)

Ibanez Roadstar 2 P-bass copy (Paid $145, I preferred it to the USA Fender P S-1 :eek:)

10. So far: Ibanez ATK 300 I got in a trade, so it "cost" me about 270 EURO.

But I'm looking at a fretless Peavey T-40 for 180 EUR :eek:. (GAS is a terribly addicting disease :smug: )

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Hey notabob,

Congrats on a superior deal, $450 is a steal! Fishes are a classic example of REALLY getting your money's worth, even at list price. Sound, playability, fit and finish,... well, you'll soon get the idea on this bass. Yours is just like mine except mine has a maple board. I also have a USA Millennium 5 and those are killer basses that appear at very modest prices since they were discontinued. Rock on and get ready to rrrruuuuummmmble! :hyper:

petch

12. Yamaha BB404 - $225 shipped on eBay (with an SKB hardshell case). This bass is very solid and has good tone, though I did, for fun, change the pickups with EMGs. I was blown away with the quality for the price. An excellent value, IMO.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    usa cruise
    lakland skylines

never seen a bad one of either

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I agree!

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Here's my list:

1. Alembic Europa
    2. Roscoe SKB3006
    3. Modulus
    4. Spector
    5. Rickenbacker
    6. Warmoth Fender-styles
    7. MusicMan basses
    8. Fender basses

But IMO #1 through #8 are all very good basses. :bassist:

-Art

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Carvin has the best price:quality ratio IMO, especially buying used.
    MusicMan too
    and Spector

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Of the ones I own, my Alembic was the best buy considering the price i paid used vs the price to order a new one. Tho I did pretty good on my Dean 12 string for $300 new, and I mean new, from the factory not the sales floor.

I'd have to agree with the Carvin comment though, the new prices are great when you consider the variety of custom options and features, and the used prices are just sick. I recently bought one of their g-tars used for a bit over $500 that outshines any I've ever played, and would cost 2-3 thousand if it said "Gibson" or "Paul Reed Smith" on the headstock. If you could one of those as a neck through with dual-single coil switches for both pickups as well as a phase switch. With 24 frets.

18. My 80's Guild Pilot 5 is the best bang for the buck used bass I've had,I got it for under $400.Also used 80's BB series Yamahas are a bargain,I bought a BB 2000 that was great sounding and playing for $300 a few years ago.The best new bargain bass I've had is my new SX jazz 5 string.Everyone who hears it and sees it wonders how it can sell for $130.It's not perfect but it's taken over as my main giging bass over my Guild,it plays and sounds that good.

Other bargains I've had are Peavey USA Millenium 5s,Pedulla Rapture 5 and a nice Carvin LB 76.Lots of bargains if you keep your eyes open and a little cash stashed for a down payment.When a bargain comes around they don't last very long so you have to ready.

19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Probably my ATK's. They are tone monsters with a helluva design. Great hardware, electronics and ergonomics. Love em.

20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You get a lot of bass for the money with Yamaha. I paid $350 for my BB605. It was nice, but even better after I put in Bartolini electronics. I have about $700 into the thing and it's one of the nicest playing, most versitile sounding basses I've owned - and I've owned a ton of them.