1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your opinion of low-end Ibanez basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Liist, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Liist

Liist Banned

Mar 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have just started playing bass for my church worship team and I am thinking of getting my own bass guitar. I'm mainly looking at Ibanez basses because I see some very good deals on Craigslist and they are all Ibanez basses.

I am just looking for your opinion on $200-$300 Ibanez basses.

If you have any other recommendations about buying the first bass, please tell me. Right now I am using a friend's Carlo Robelli and I don't think that a $200 bass could go any more wrong.

Thank you.

2. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    When I got back into playing bass about 4 years ago I found a SR505 in a pawn shop for $300. It played real nice but I ended up trading it in on a SRX705 because I was looking for a grittier sound.

3. Liist

Liist Banned

Mar 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I know this may sound stupid, but how does an Ibanez hold up to Fender P and J basses or a Warwick?

4. I have an Ibanez SR305dx that I bought brand new almost 6 years ago, still sounds great for the money. It has a smooth and comfortable neck and the electronics may not be anything compared to my SR3000e's barts, they still sound pretty good, almost passive compared to the barts :D. I picked up the newer 4 string version of the bass, a SR300 and the pickups are radius'd along with the neck/fretboard and overall didn't sound bad, so I'm currently GAS'n to get the bass but in orange! Ibanez's catch alot of heat around here, as does almost everything, but I've owned 3 Ibanez's (currently down to 2) and plan on buying the 1 cheap-o and then getting the SR530 or SR535 in white, and I have nothing but positive things to say about the playability, neck, electronics, and how well they hold up under abuse (my former drummer dropped my 305 on concrete from about 4 feet up, IT DIDN'T CRACK OR BREAK!!!).

Hoped this help in someway!

5. They are awesomely bilt, lower end basses. Can't touch them in the sub-500 dept, especially if you want the fastest thinnest neck around.

I happen to like chunkier necks, though, so I'm selling my previously modded ibanez SR400 for parts.

-Paul

6. I own a 1983 Roadstar II(purchased used for about 200 bucks) and a Warwick Dolphin SN(purchased used for about 1400 bucks). I prefer the Ibanez. That said, I would not recommend anyone just get rid of a nice Warwick or Fender and go find an early 80's Ibanez off craigslist. For whatever reason this particular bass sounds really, really good. I've played plenty of Ibanez stuff that was pretty average. I've also got a circa 1990 SR1000 that I never touch. Terrible instrument, and it was near top of the line in it's day. In general I'd say Ibanez is a mixed bag, but the best of their stuff is as good as anything else out there. Early 80's Roadsters, Roadstar II's and Musicians are generally worth a look, if they are still in playable shape some of them are great instruments.

7. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Without question I'd suggest a new player or student play what they feel most comfortable playing. That being said a Fender Standard Bass is a very good choice and could last you many years. A P bass can be very forgiving when your starting out while a jazz may take more effort to avoid unwanted buzzing, down the road the jazz would give you more tonal options.

Good luck!

8. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    honestly i have qiute a few Ibanez basses and can tell you that the quality really suffers below the SR400 end of the line. i do have an SR190 only because i got it on Craigslist for $30... it's really not worth more. they get very light woods, the hardware is trash especially the tuners, and the electronic's sound much thinner crap pot's, and rushed wireing. 300-500 should get you into the 400 series or an older 800 series. but they all balance and play well with a good set-up.

fender's and the warwick's? p may not be as versitle, but a warwick with a jazz p/u arangement or a jazz may work as well. you may find a MIJ Jazz in your range.

9. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    They are great value for money, haven't tried anything below SR400 though. Very comfortable and easy to play as the neck is very thin. At least for me. Might not be everyone's cup of tea though, but I would recommend them.

10. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    For a first bass a lower end Ibanez would be a good purchase.

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    check out the basses at rondomusic.com
    they're great value and you have a bunch of choices as far as looks and sounds.