1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your opinion of this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ozzyismetal, Mar 24, 2009.

1. SWR is a good BRAND but if you are going to do more than practice with it with a full band or let alone play in a club (very small 1 at that) and going by the style you play, you are going to want/need more. I don't know where you saw it but most stores that have teaching rooms, use this type of combo. For ~$600.00 you can find a good full sized rig FOR EXAMPLE Carvin's BR515N comes to mind 300w or 500w at 2 ohms when you add an extra 4 ohm cabiunet.

:bag:

2. 200watts for "small practice"? Seems a bit much to me...you'd think 35watts would be enough.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Tell us more about the band you're in, how many pieces, the type of music and types of venues. I use a small 100 watt 1-12 Roland Cube for a lot of gigs. I also use a Markbass rig with lots of power. Depends on your needs.

You can play alot of gigs with that as long as the rest of the band isn't in a volume competition.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think it's a good amp. Some nice features. Not super loud, but IMHO that is what the PA is for.

5. He said he played Rock Funk Metal and Jazz. If the drummer is playing full tilt and the gui**** is shedding at stage volume a 120 watt amp will not cut it on stage and as a monitor it would be pegged most of the time. I puts out 200watts with extra speaker. Quote from SWR "..WorkingPro 12 is perfect for small gigs, practicing and monitoring" As I said, it is good for practice or a small jazz gig and IMO I think he will want/need more. And for the price on the site he listed, he could get more!

:bag:

6. If you're in any kind of band session with a drummer/guitar stack the amp wont cut it at all. Look for a used swr redhead-great stuff and you can find them in about the same price range.

7. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
  8. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Agreed. SWR is great at charging a high premium for budget quality gear. I've played through most of the Workingman's/WorkingPro lineup, and it's really depressing that they're so bad.