What is your opinion on MIA Deluxe Jazzes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheMadSkanker, Nov 17, 2002.

1. I have been looking at quite a few basses to get over the past few months, and i am looking for a little input your opinions of Fender American Deluxe Jazz Basses. I would like to know on scales of 1-10 how nice the tuners, electronics, pups, and overall how nice it is as a bass. any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
  2. Oh, and if you could give the same input for Fender American Deluxe P-Basses, that would be nice
  3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I am a sucker for a nice MIA Deluxe jazz.... I have liked everyone I played, and never had a problem with them.... I have always wondered how they would do with some updated pickups and preamps... not that the stock ones are bad, but I would love to hear it with updated ones!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three MIA JD5's, one is an FMT. I did have a case of "what-if?" and installed a J-Retro in one. The Retro is nice but so are the stock electronics, in their way. Everything about the basses is top notch. I've used them as main basses with excellent results.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Ohhhh Just got one used and I can't put it down. Pretty much cover's the bases for me. No need to change basses because the vibe has changed either :D
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nice bass. Plays well, sounds great. All the components and hardware seem nice and stury to me. If I was going to buy a new Fender this would be it.

brad cook
  7. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You can't go wrong with either the Jazz or Precision. Both are killer bases. They are both like the American standards, but on steroids. Plus the Precision has that extra humbucker, giving it a unique P sound.
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I had the chance to play around with an American Jazz Deluxe (candy tangerine body, white pickguard, maple fretboard. The only thing it was missing aesthetically, were black, block fret markers, in place of the abalone dots) about a week ago and I have to say, I absolutely loved it! Even though I didn't have the time to play it through an amp, it felt great in my hands. I was impressed with the hardware (bridge, tuners and the 18-volt Fender Noiseless pickups) and I am now seriously considering this baby as my next bass purchase (I'm also looking at a MusicMan Stingray or a G&L L-2000).

What did not impress me, was the salesman that I was "forced" to talk to about this thing. "Oh yeah, I'd go with the Fender. You know it's gonna hold its value better than both the G&L and the Stingray." "Oh yeah, MusicMan and G&L are such obscure names, I couldn't possibly resell either of 'em for even close to what I originally paid." :rolleyes:
  9. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    i just played a MIA standard jazz bass in GC yesterday and absolutely fell in love. now im on a dire search to find both the money and the bass of my dreams. I want to go used i think but i was wondering what the deluxe version entailed taht the standard does not. thanx

10. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    my AmJazzDeluxe 4 string is amazing. everything about it. the neck is breaking in soooo nicely.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got a 97 MIA Deluxe P, and overall its a nice Bass(although I prefer my 98 MIA P). The only thing I didnt like was the original Fender tuners that were half plastic/half metal. In a word, they were crap. I replaced them with MIA Fender tuners(like every other P has). Nice Bass, better price- I found it used at GC for $550.
  12. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    question, what would you guys think of a MIA jazz with a j-retro dropped in, versus a MIA deluxe jazz. The price would be about the same brand new.
  13. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    i got one last spring. dropped a j-retro deluxe in it and the end of the summer. i will never sell this bass. I love it so much. It's perfect for me in every way.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have that now... a Blue 97 JD5 with a J-Retro and a Shoreline Gold 97 JD5 that's stock. It's a serious personal preference issue. I like both. The J-Retro is more versatile. I only use one basic setting, both pickups full on, EQ pretty much flat. I only seem to use the bridge pickup soloed on my passive four string Jazzes, the newer ones just don't nail that sound for me without serious tweaking.

Either works fine for me. The Retro'd JD5 sounds closer to my FMT than the stock one. The FMT kills.
  15. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Handlax14 the dlx jazz has 22 frets (longer neck) a smaller body, shaller lite weight tuners, active electronics, one volume knob, one bass,mid,treble knob apeice. It also has a bridge that allows string thru the body and thru the bridge along with abalone neck inlays. The standard although a great bass has none of that:)