1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Is Your Preferred Straplock? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, May 3, 2015.

1. Dunlop (Dual Design or other, not including Ergo Lok - See below)

26 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Schaller

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Loxx

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Ernie Ball Super Locks

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Planet Waves Planet Lock

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Dunlop Ergo Lok

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Grolsch Rubber Washer (or any other rubber washer method)

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. Dimarzio ClipLock (Straps)

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. No Straplocks

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. I don't put locks on my carrots!

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. Other

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Seeing as this subject comes up often, I figured it would be a good idea to make a poll as part of the discussion.

Here are the major models and manufacturers:

Dunlop (Dual Design or other, not including Ergo Lok - See below)

Schaller

Loxx

Ernie Ball Super Locks

Planet Waves Planet Lock

Dunlop Ergo Lok

Grolsch Rubber Washer (or any other rubber washer method)

Dimarzio ClipLock (Straps)

If you use knock-offs of one of the above, please choose the one it is copying.

Lets hear why you like what you use or what made you switch from one model to another.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    rojo412 likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Dunlops Dual-design for life!
    They work fantastically and are very well designed to do so, relatively maintenance-free. (A drop of teflon-based oil every couple years keeps them functioning perfectly)
    There's no worry of coming undone... EVER! Even if the e-clip broke (yeah, right!), the strap would remain on.
    There's very little worry of the lock binding up and unscrewing the strap button either.
    And if you're like me and leave the strap on the bass in a gig bag, there's no pointy knob to cut a hole in the bottom of the bag.

I must give kudos to rubber washers, as the cost:benefit ratio is insanely good. They DO work. I wouldn't hold my bass up by the strap, only held in by rubber washers... but it does keep that strap on in normal conditions. In a pinch, with "not-my-usual" strap and a basic button, I've used them to great effect.

4. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

those look good.

I have the Planet Waves lock strap and really like them, but they are a bit bulk at the ends compared to a normal strap,those Lock-its look more like a normal strap.

But the Planet Waves ones come in leather,I have two.

5. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I think the Schallers are the benchmark or gold standard.... all my high end basses came with them as standard equipment.

6. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Running around like I do. The only straplocks I trust are the dimarzio cliplocks. Plus you can just buy the clips online and still use the same strap. Great for wireless. All my basses have these.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    DiMarzio ClipLock.

The bass doesn't go anywhere with that on.

8. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
  9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I that the pool currently shows both the Dunlop Dual Design and Schallers currently have about 65% of the votes, with the Dinlops in the lead at 39%.

10. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    I use Planet Waves Elliptical pretty much exclusively. I've just never gotten along with anything more complicated.