1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is your privacy comfort level?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D M C, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I am old. There’s no getting around that, not that I’d want to. Getting old bestows absolution for being cranky and being cranky is one of my favorite things.

Anyhoo, being old means that one spent ones childhood in anonymity. Whatever one’s opinions, whatever one’s preferences, whatever one’s proclivities, your misspent youth was shared only with your friends, family, possibly your local school system and/or your local constabulary.

Nowadays, (I think - I don’t really know, but I hear things,) all you need is a smart phone and social media account to have your personal bidness spread across the globe. This gives me the heebie-jeebies. Its taken me several years on this platform (TB) to get used to allowing myself to put personal information out in the ether and even then it gives me a great deal of comfort to know that this little slice of heaven is pretty eentsy in the grand scheme of Facebook and Instagram things.

So I got a weather station for Christmas to replace the really cheap one I bought a couple of years ago. The cool thing about this one is that I can (and have) put it online for all the world to use. I was thinking about making a thread that posts it’s location but I was seized with dread because it will reveal my address to the (TB) world. On the Weather Underground web site, nobody knows me but if I say “Hey, anybody got a weather station? Here’s mine.” on TB, then y’all will know where I live. Should I be scared by this?

Does this stuff scare you too? Or am I being too...

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Anyone can pretty much find anyone these days.

Privacy is not private anymore.

JRA likes this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm not comfortable sharing my privacy comfort level.

:woot:

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It sounds like you have two concerns: Privacy, and Security.

With regard to Privacy, unless you've taken elaborate steps to hide your real IP address, the weather station's IP address will reveal (to a certain extent) your location, or at least who your provider is and your general geographical area. It's highly unlikely that anyone would track you down via IP to your actual physical location. Of course your provider can do that, as can law enforcement with a proper warrant. But that was true before you installed the weather station.

Security (referring to your home network & devices) seems more important to me. Without knowing more about exactly what you have, it's hard to say. As an absolute minimum, make sure you've updated the device's software & firmware, and change any default Admin login password to something secure.

5. Too late . The hackers had you the minute you logged on to it.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Windscribe VPN.

7. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Hmmm. No, I think I’d know if I have two concerns. I can count to ten, at least, so two is a cinch, because it’s less than ten.

I’m not concerned about revealing my IP address - I am behind a firewall and a VPN - (here’s my IP address: 192.168.021... ooh, you are sneaky.)

Go to www.wunderground.com

gebass6 likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You are. Your government knows everything, so privacy is a moot point if you're online at all or have a phone of any kind, or have any financial dealings of any kind. You are a known and traceable entity. Should the men in black attire in black SUVs or black helicopters arrive, your time here is up.

9. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    You, my friend, are a major drag.

I shall be waiting out front. I hope they come soon, ‘cause it’s cold out.

And it’s snowing now.

10. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Be sure to activate your landing beacon.

bolophonic, Johnny Crab and D M C like this.
  11. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Your public-facing IP is whatever your VPN is assigning to you: What Is My IP Address? | Golden Frog

Your link takes me to a homepage with some 250,000 online weather stations. How would you draw visitors to your station?

(I'm so out of current developments in this stuff I really have no credibility)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    This is what scares me. I wouldn’t because I’m a Luddite.

13. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Thank you. I forgot until you told me to.

Linnin likes this.
  14. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I doubt you're a Luddite if you've gotten this thing working.

Since you're on a VPN, what information would personally identify you? City & state is as close as anyone would get (from the weather station's registration info). I suppose if it's a very small town someone could drive around looking for the weather station, assuming it's visible from the street. Oh, hey, a drone might help with that.

I shared a remotely-tunable radio receiver online for a few years. Didn't even bother with masking my IP. To the best of my knowledge, nobody "out there" knew anything except city/state. www.globaltuners.com

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Only when thought about too deeply.

Smart phone? Nope
    Smart home? Nope
    Remote-controllable vehicles(new ones with computers and phone/internet links)? Nope
    Dangerous animals and critters around home perimeter? Yep. Snakes, possums, poisonous spiders, coyotes, rabid skunks, etc.

It's all recorded, stored, filed, waiting to be useful in keeping you in place if needed.
    As @Linnin said

tlc1976 likes this.
  16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I have neither.

However, I use my real name on message boards, my location is there for all to see and the guy with the Bass in my avatar is really me.

OldDog52 likes this.
  17. Some sites I've used pinpoint, pretty closely, on a map at neighborhood level, the wx station location.
    I don't know if that is because those owners added GPS coordinates or not.

There is not much point in putting it on line for others to see if your location is limited to a City/State.
    Fine if you restrict it only for your own use, but if there are weather stations in my neighborhood, they can be a lot more useful than what the NWS or the local TV weather guy will tell me about current conditions.

I guess if you do make the exact location known, you might want to worry about it being stolen or vandalized.

18. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Unless you live in a huge sprawling city like Los Angeles or something, why would city & state not be useful?

In any case, clearly you don’t want to publish the exact address of the installation.

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't care who knows my name, phone #, address etc. I have posted almost 300 videos on YouTube. Sometimes I am naked or near naked. Various states of undress, and also wearing a dress. Photos as well. As I get older, it's only going to get worse.

ICM, rllefebv, Oddly and 3 others like this.
  20. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    The older I get the more I think like that. Who the heck cares? Lol.