1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your review of the fender squier bronco bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raunaq Singh, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    I purchased this bass a while ago because the first time I played it I was completely sold. It felt so good to play that I bought it without thinking for a second. Though I have no major complaints with it, I somehow feel at times it tends to wander around the overly bright side in terms of sound and lacks a bit of that low end bite that long scale basses offer.
    Is it true that short scale basses really have lesser deep end growl compared to long scale basses? Is it recommended to put flats on the bronco bass or should I stick to rounds and if anyone owns a bronco bass, what is your review of it and is it good for small gigs?

jamro217 likes this.
  2. 1 - No, in my opinion and experience it's not true. I have a half-dozen short scale basses ranging from Bronco to Gretsch Thunderjet, all of them have plenty of balls, and I gig them. Some people like the stock Bronco pickup, some don't. It's a very popular bass for swapping pickups, because it's inexpensive and with a little Dremel work there is plenty of room under the pickguard. EDIT: and the factory pickup is a six-pole guitar version, which some don't find to their taste.

2 - Use flats if you like flats. Use rounds if you like rounds. Use tapewounds if you like tapewounds. Strings are a "user preference" item, and they make a significant difference in sound. I'm a flats player so I'd recommend them, but I'm aware that the OP may not like them at all.

3 - If you like the sound and feel of a Bronco, it's good for small, medium, large and stadium gigs. If you don't, it's not.

I find the Bronco to balance well, I love the light weight, and the neck feels great. I bought mine specifically to try some pickup swaps, because I normally DO NOT swap pickups, and I wanted to try it for once. I ended up with a Gretsch 2202 pickup in the Bronco and it's one of my top "go-to" basses. I played it for my last two gigs, leaving basses that are worth over $1000 at home and playing a bass that cost me $125 used.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Ghastly, jamro217 and Christine like this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Short scales make a hell of a lot of low end 'thonk' because of the lower string tension. The Bronco is a cool little bass, but I think your problem is more with the pick up, and the strings that with it being SS.

jamro217 likes this.
  4. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    thank you for the informative reply. Any recommendations on which pickups can I upgrade to? I play quiet a lot of slap and play harmonics too so does the pickup make any difference in terms of the responsiveness of the harmonics? If yes then which one should I go for? Sorry I'm a little new to this topic so my knowledge on this topic may not suffice.

5. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    Any recommendations on some really good pickups for the bronco?

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
  7. There are a couple of very long threads on Bronco modifications here on TB. With some searching you can find them, and they contain tons of ideas about pickups. But I suggest that before deciding you need a different pickup, play the one that comes in the Bronco for a while. It may be a good choice for you.

Since I'm not a fan of slap at all, and never use harmonics, my recommendations would be of no use to you.

8. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    Okay mate. Thanks for the help.

9. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Someone who plays slap would know better, but I think the style tends to favor a bridge position pickup?

Granted, everything can be over-thought.

Old Blastard likes this.
  10. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    I don't play that much of slap either. I used to play in a small band a long time back but then after that did most of my own stuff. I use harmonics (artificial, plucked, natural) sometimes and also like to have a meaty low end. Is it advisable to put high gauge strings on a short scale or will it start buzzing?

11. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    I
    I know in my initial comment I wrote I play a lot of slap but am planning to move away from it for a while. That's why I said I won't be playing much of it.

Old Blastard likes this.
  12. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    The Bronco bass pickup is a cheap Strat pickup. If you pull the cover off you'll see it has six poles. It just isn't designed for bass. I've always wanted to buy a Bronco and throw a strat-sized rail humbucker in it.

GravyGoodness likes this.
  13. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah exactly, it isn't a bass pickup.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  14. It's correct that the pickup in the stock Bronco is a guitar pickup. However, that doesn't mean some people don't use it for bass and enjoy it. In fact, many basses have used guitar pickups. Try it and see what you think.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  15. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah I know that, even Lemmy swapped his bass pickups for guitar pickups in his early days but the thing is because of a traditional single coil guitar pickup in the bronco bass, it sounds a little weak, I won't say it sounds bad but it's very easy for it to get lost in the mix because it just doesn't have that power. I'm looking for a good single coil bass pickup that can do the job.

16. I can't argue with that! Makes sense to me.

Old Blastard likes this.
  17. Raunaq Singh

Raunaq Singh

Jul 28, 2018
    True, once I get a humbucker on the bronco it's going to be a completely different thing.

18. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had one. I bought it used in perfect condition for $100. It was well worth that, and it's also well worth the brand new price IMO.

It's a nice looking bass, and a big bang for the buck.

The glaring weak points to me are the tuners and the stock strings. It could use a fine tuning on the nut too, and to have the frets leveled, crowned, end dressed, and polished.

The pickup and bridge were fine to me. People say the pickup is crap. I totally disagree. I am used to American Fenders and nice pickups, and the Bronco pickup left nothing to be desired by me. It's the stock strings that are crap IMO. They are cheap-o rubber band round wounds.

I only sold it because I needed to downsize, and I already have a '70's Musicmaster that is one of my main axes. That said, I kept it in the family; I sold it to my sister-in-law. I didn't want to let it go completely off into the wild.

I would recommend these to most players, of any level. Bone stock, it was a fine gigging axe. With the improvements I mentioned above (which would cost more than the bass itself, making it a $300–350 axe), it'd still punch above its weight IMO.

Mind you, I like short-neck basses in general, and I'm also judging it in that category, not against Ps, Js, etc.

scuzzy likes this.
  19. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Squier Bronco. It is really fun to play. Short-scale basses with maple fingerboards remain somewhat unusual (I'm not sure why that’s the case). I think it’s a really nifty bass. If I could find a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass in sunburst with a maple fingerboard, I would buy it for sure (sorry for the off-topic irrelevancy there).

Pilgrim likes this.
  20. orichtvuna

orichtvuna

Jun 18, 2016
    Thailand
    I'm going to stop you there, because the early Rickenbacker pickups AFAIK were guitar pickups. Lemme would go on to plug in some Gibson Thunderbird pups for their hot output. So again, AFAIK, it's exactly the opposite.