1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your Take on Gerald Veasley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Laklandlover, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    I just started listening to him. I like his playing what do you all think?

James

Be Blessed

2. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think he's a super talented electric player who can play just about any style. I'm not crazy about his mainstream jazz stuff, the smooth jazz if you will, but he did a really cool Electric Mingus thing a few years ago that was wonderful. He just kills on the Jaco Big Band tribute stuff, check that out if you get a chance. He also seems to have a great business sense and is a really nice guy to boot. Fellow Philly bassist gets the thumbs up from me!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree with you 100%, Larry.

The Zawinul Syndicate stuff is OK, too.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm with Larry and Jim. I started digging Veasly when he did the Cornell Rochester & Gerald Veasley album[ way back, on vinyl], he was coming from a more Jamaaladeen Tacuma vibe, but his solo work started getting smoother. I wonder over to smooth from time to time and the last album I bought of his was his live one, and I dug it. He is a great player who can really blow through changes when called for. I still have his instructional VHS buried around here somewhere too.

5. Honest to God, the man is not only an absolutely amazing Bass player -- You should see him in a jam situation-- but he is one of the most wonderful human beings you will ever meet. And if you ever have a chance to attend his yearly Bass Bootcamp: www.GeraldVeasley.com/bassbootcamp I highly recommend it. I have been 4 times and it gets better every year. World class instructors and everybody there is friendly as can be. It's like a family.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, I missed that one! Rochester is an absolute beast. He's like a freight train on The Music Revelation Ensemble's In The Name Of...

7. shamus63

shamus63

Dec 17, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    As mentioned earlier, he does a mean "Barbary Coast".

I used to see him on BETJazz "Studio Jams" (when I actually had that channel on my service plan); seems pretty laid-back and focused.

8. Great player.IMHO,bad choice in the bass he plays.Truth be known,Ibanez probably pays him mega-bucks to play their Soundgears(Had one,can't make myself likem'.).

Just my $00.02.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That's how I got hip to Veasly, I loved Rochester's playing with Tacuma and took a shot on their album together. It was on the long defunct but very hip Gramavision label.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Y'all need to check him out with the band Metro. Dude shreds without breaking a sweat! Seriously, he's a great player! How he slaps on that tight spaced Ibanez 6 string just befuddles me!

11. He's one of my favorite electric bassists. I too always enjoyed seeing him on BET's Studio Jams. He sure makes it look easy!

12. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    I am with you on that. He is tall and has long fingers like me and I had to stop playing the Ibanez Basses because of that.

13. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I knew the guy had a good reputation when Zawinul picked him up for his band. Then I heard him on the Jamerson project Standing in the shadow of Motown when was a bit disapointed compared to some studio folks.

But when I hear him with the Jaco Pastorius Big Band CD's, it blowns my mind away. I think he is my favorite guess........after Marcus's version of
    Punk Jazz.

The guy can play anything !!!

Sly

14. the engine

the engine Guest

Great guy. Great bassist. Met him at The Portsmouth Jazz Fest in '01. He's a TALL SOB too! I got a picture with him. I'm 6'1" and he TOWERS over me!

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This does not make sense to me. The man sounds wonderful, and he has been super successful. Given those facts, what's wrong with his choice of bass? Even small boutique makers give their best endorsers some sort of break.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 I think Ibanez makes well made instruments. I loved the SR505 I owned. Just imagine a REALLY high end custom Ibanez with true attention to detail with top notch components! That's what Gerald plays! And is he getting paid? I mean really? He may get deep discounts and they probably help sponser his Bass Camp.

17. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Plus 1000
    I still have my 1996 SR400. It's one of the best made basses I have EVER played. It's been through hell and back:) I can't kill it:) Also had a 406 that I really liked and wish I had not sold. I put a Hipshot bridge and Aguilar pre in her and she smoked basses that cost 5 times as much. For the price Ibanez is hard to beat, and if you find yourself not digging the tone (like I did) you can mod it and still come out ahead:D But I doubt very much that Ibanez pays Gerald anything. I think he has played Ibanez for a long time and is quite used to the narrow spacing:)

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

The name of that album was One minute of Love.

Gerald is indeed very talented and extremely down to earth.

19. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    THE first 5-stringer I ever saw live; 1988 Grover Washington, Jr concert at Wingate Park in Brooklyn. He can hold it down!

20. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, he is a top notch bass player, and educator.
    He has been around for a long time and even has his own
    club in Reading Pa ( Gerald Veasley's Jazz Basse).
    He comes from a long line of well respected bass players
    from Philly like myself. If you can check out this month's
    Berks jazz festival you will see for yourself.